Menu

Do we need to complete both CLE Math 7 & 8 to be ready for Algebra 1?

My dd tests easily into CLE Math 7 but wouldn't pass the test to start Math 8. But according to the CLE catalog, Math 8 is prealgebra, Math 9 is Algebra 1, Math 10 is Geometry, Math 11 is Algebra 2, Math 12 is Functions & Trig. I was planning on using CLE Math for prealgebra and then moving to something else for high school maths. But I'm not sure we have 2 years to spend on Math 7 and Math 8 if we want to keep on track for college prep.

So, do we buckle down and go through both 7 & 8 to be ready for a decent Algebra 1 course?

Dd has done sooooo well with Horizons -- she thrives on the spiral approach, likes the puzzles/scripture content/color. CLE is as close as I can find for something after Horizons 6 -- I know, it's only 2-color, has no puzzles that I can see, but there is scripture content and it's spiral. She's not ready for mastery-based learning in math yet -- I figured that can wait until Algebra 1 and beyond. Both of us would hate Saxon and, even if I could afford TT, I can't decide if it would prep her adequately or not.

Help? Please?

Thanks,

reading the links from Mich elle's post and posted in the wrong thread! Our plan is to finish CLE and as much of 8 as we can before fall, than it's onto algebra 1. I have found that CLE has so much review in each lesson that my student often only needs to complete the new concept for every lesson and the review section every OTHER lesson. This is making for a much snappier progression through CLE 7. She's still scoring high on the quizzes and test so we're good. I do want to use 810 with her, which is the budgeting unit, so we'll definitely cover that before next fall. Programs like Videotext incorporate pre-algebra into their program and I'm confident we'll have adequate understanding (pre-algebra) from CLE 7 that the transition to most algebra programs will be uneventful. We're still undecided, but thinking seriously about Jacobs with Dr. Callahan.

Thanks for the links, MIch elle, I had found one of those threads by searching but not the other.

I like the samples I've seen online of CLE 7 & 8 -- I really like the daily review built in. You have a good point about limiting that review, Magic Wand.

Thanks, Ladies! If anyone else has a thought not already expressed in one of the links or posts above, I'd sure love to listen!