Menu

TOG for literature only OR other suggestions

MicheleinMN

I know you put it on the hs forum, but thought it would give you something to think about.

I haven't used the R level at all yet, I do now and then read the Lit worksheets for that level. TOG was written to be a whole, one of the key benefits of it is the integration of topics. For example when you cover Gulliver's Travels the child is supposed to analyze each of the different groups, tell which political group of the time that it represented and then explain what they author was saying about each group.

Great assignment, but it isn't going to work well if you are only doing the lit. You need to be studying the Government part as well. Not every assignment ties in like that, but some do.

Have you looked at Omnibus? I hear it is more Lit focused and less history than TOG, so for the money it might be a better fit (though still not cheap).

Heather

:iagree: Part of what makes TOG so beautiful is the, um, tapestry part. :tongue_smilie: It's all woven together. Sure, it's made to be a buffet: take what you want. But the balance tips when you consider the cost. Several subjects blended around a unifying historical theme? Detailed Teacher's Notes and discussions for D&R level? Totally worth the cost. But for a lit list only? Umm... no. I don't think I'd invest in TOG if I only used the books. And I love TOG! Hey, if you like TOG's books, then just go to the bookshelf and select the level, year and unit. Apart from the general time of each unit, I don't think it matters which order which book is read. That way you're getting the books you want, and don't have to purchase TOG.