Menu

What is your standard for a high school diploma?

I have question for those of you with special needs high schoolers, or have BTDT. I have a "freshman" next year that is not able to do high school level work because of his learning disabilities. My ds has plateaued at the upper elementary level due to a low/average IQ, dysgraphia, expressive language disorder and PDD-NOS. I plan to arrange his curriculum around working on fundamentals and other life skills to help prepare him for the future. I far as I know there is no external measuring device, other than the GED exam, to determine whether you have attained a high school diploma. Our state requires a certain number of units of math, science, history, etc. to graduate from high school, but there is no definition of what, for instance, a "math" credit looks like. I am wondering whether this has ever been an issue for anyone when your dc puts "high school degree" on a job application? Is it a problem to finish the required units of instruction (on a basic level) and call it a "high school" degree? Do you teach toward the GED and take the exam? If there is already a thread on this, please direct me. Thanks for any advice.

I would find out what your state does with children who have similar problems in high school. Not so that you can enroll him, but just as a way for you to gauge what high school graduation means to special needs children. I believe many states have these children attend educational programs until age 21 to help them get to the best outcome possible instead of stopping at age 18. If he will not be able to get normal types of employment, you might want to start checking out what kinds of employment opportunities are available in your area. I know that in this large metropolitan area, there are several programs which accept disabled youth or young adults into training and then employment programs. Whether he is eligible for such programs based on his disabilities, I can't tell you. I just know about them from newspaper articles and radio commercials.