Menu

Phonics Questions

Obviously (see signature), I'm WAY past needing this, but....

The current phonics in the 3rd grade classroom were the /er/ sounds.

Anyway, I thought some were odd:

Under /her/ (which I never would have guessed was a combination in the first place) were words like mother. I assume father would be the same? But *I* would say it was /f/ /a/ /th/ /er/ instead.

Under /ir/ were their and fair. I never would have guessed either of them were under that. Btw, the example word for that was first which I *would* figure went there. But I would say fair was /f/ /ai/ /r/

Anyone see these this way?

Under /her/ (which I never would have guessed was a combination in the first place) were words like mother. I assume father would be the same? But *I* would say it was /f/ /a/ /th/ /er/ instead.

Under /ir/ were their and fair. I never would have guessed either of them were under that. Btw, the example word for that was first which I *would* figure went there. But I would say fair was /f/ /ai/ /r/

Yeah--that seems odd.

If you place mother under /her/, you lose the /th/ sound, so then I'd be a /mot/ /her/.

Spalding teaches the er sound like this:

8. There are five spellings for the sound /er/. Keep these sentences in mind:

Her nurse first works early. Or Father bird returns early with the worm.

In that, the spellings are in the descending order of usage in English.

The phonogram or may say /er/ when it follows w (work, worm, worthy). Also keep in mind that ar and or say /er/ at the end of some words (dollar, doctor).

So mother and father sound like "er the er of her". But the others don't make sense.

There are 5 phonograms for the /er/ sound. /her/ is not a phonogram for the /er/ sound.

1. /er/ the er of her (the /er/ is the phonogram) you do not use the h with it to make the sound of er.

Examples of the /er/ phonogram would be words like: /O/ /v/ /er/, /p/ /A/ /p/ /er/, /a/ /f/ /t/ /er/, etc.

Mother and father would use the /er/ phonogram. Mother would be spelled /m/ /o/ /th/ /er/. Father would be spelled /f/ /a/ /th/ /er/.

Notice how they are broke up. If you try to make the phonogram /her/ you lose the /th/ phonogram. That is why /her/ is not a phonogram. You were right. The /th/ and the /er/ are two separate phonograms.

2. /ur/ the er of church.

3. /ir/ the er of first.

Their and fair do not follow the 3rd phonogram for /er/. They are phonetically spelled /th/ /ei/ /r/ and /f/ /ai/ /r/. The phonograms /ei/ and /ai/ both say /A/ in these words.

4. w/or/ the er of worship. This one is tricky. The /or/ usually says /or/ unless it comes after the letter w. The letter w used before /or/ changes the /or/ to er. Examples of this would be w /or/ /d/ and w /or/ /k/. The /or/ in these words is saying er because of the w.

5. /ear/ the er of early. Examples of this would be /ear/ /th/ and /ear/ /n/

I hope this helps. :001_smile: