Menu

Supplementing Singapore

Jen S in Va

Ds is in 1st grade and is almost finished with Singapore 1B. I have Intensive Practice and CWP 1 for him to do over the summer to keep his skills sharp. He's also using the Rainbow Rock cdrom several times a week. As I look forward to 2nd grade with Singapore, what is the best way to supplement/review with him? Should I use the IP, EP, and CWP during the year instead of over the summer? Supplement with a different math program? This is my first go round with Singapore, and I really like it, but he has forgotten some of the things we haven't covered since EB 2B that we haven't gotten to in US 1B yet--time, money, etc. TIA

HI! We are using Singapore 1 for my DD, who is also in first grade. I have to admit, I just have printed out worksheets I have found online for more practice, and for review. And I have used some LifePac lessons for speed drills and simple practice/review as well. I had gotten the AO LifePacs for dirt cheap at a used book sale. HTH!!!

We're supplementing Singapore with MEP, which is available for free from the Web. It's British, so you might not like the metric system, but I find it a great extra, looking at things in such a different way. Grade one does not correspond to year one, so check out which level will work for you.

interesting- i got some worksheets from that site as well!

We use CWP alongside Singapore. I've used IP in the past and would use it with kids who likes puzzles, challenges, etc., but I dropped it somewhere along the way for my 4th grader who does not like such things.

We use Horizons to supplement Singapore, mostly because standardized tests are a part of our life and Horizons is good for continual review and exposure to a breadth of problem types.

I use the Singapore Challenge problem books and Miquon (it comes at it from a different angle) and Life of Fred. My dd whizzes through math so I am trying to make sure it is all cemented in her brain - but I also don't want to bore her so I flip around with different curriculum.

I use the Singapore Challenge problem books and Miquon (it comes at it from a different angle) and Life of Fred. My dd whizzes through math so I am trying to make sure it is all cemented in her brain - but I also don't want to bore her so I flip around with different curriculum.

Life of Fred is for upper elementary school kids, right?