Menu

If you're familiar with PS algebra texts could you tell me what you think, please?

A friend of the family, who taught middle school math for 30+ years, recently gave me some of the algebra texts she had been hanging onto (in case she decided to do some tutoring in her retirement). I know Dolciani gets talked about here...she gave me a Dolciani Basic Algebra text. What does "Basic Algebra" mean? Dumbed down? She also gave me Merrill Algebra 1. Any opinions?

Carolyn

Carolyn,

I've never seen Merrill, and I'm only going to take a guess on the Algebra book.

When I was shopping for a Geometry book in that series (by Brown & Jurgensen), I accidentally purchased a text that is called "Basic Geometry". The teacher's edition that came with it describes the audience for the book in the introduction. The "Basic Geometry" book is a solid course, but it's definitely for kids who either struggle with math or for whom English is not their first language.

If you have the TE for the Basic Algebra book, look at the introductory info and see if there is anything in there about who the book is targeted to.

The standard Geometry book in the series is just called "Geometry", but the authors are the same and the content is completely different. The Algebra 1 book in that same series is called "Algebra: Structure & Method Book 1".

HTH,

Brenda