Menu

S/O on planning for high school courses

jeri

I've been reading the high school-to-college threads with great interest. Thanks for all the input into what courses your kids are taking and what types of colleges they are applying to. My dd is in 7th this year. She and I are contemplating her high school years and her goals for college.

She is a great student and, as of now, is hoping to work in math and/or science. Here are the *important* courses she is taking right now:

Alg 1 (and most of AOPS' Counting adn Prob)

German 1 throught OK State

Latin 2 with a tutor

CW Maxim

Next year she is hoping to move into high school courses. I am figuring that she has already taken four with the Alg, German, and Latin. Would you agree with that?

Regarding CW Chreia--does anyone know if that's a high school course? Or do I have to wait for Herodotus to count that?

What about Logic--would Traditional Logic be a high school course?

What *does* constitute a high school course, anyhow? Isn't it some formula like 3 hours a week of classwork and 3 hours of outside work? That sounds like a lot, but perhaps that's true.

Thank you!

Jeri

There has recently been a discussion on whether to count high school level courses taken in jr. high as high school credits or not. I think you can do anything you like. Many ps kids DO take high school level courses in jr. high but they aren't counted as credits in high school. It shows on their transcript that they took alg. 2, foreign lang. 2 in 9th grade and then the colleges know that they took the lower level classes in jr. high (but NO hs credit). As a homeschooler you can count it or not - it's up to you.

Do you want your dc to graduate early? That would help you decide to count the credits or not. You can figure it out later - just keep the records.