Menu

Asian salad dressing recipe??

Does anyone have a recipe for that orange salad dressing that you get in Japanese and Chinese restaurants?? I love that dressing but it's not like the Asian ones you get in the grocery store. I'd love a recipe to make my own. :) Thanks to all who reply.:)

Does anyone have a recipe for that orange salad dressing that you get in Japanese and Chinese restaurants?? I love that dressing but it's not like the Asian ones you get in the grocery store. I'd love a recipe to make my own. :) Thanks to all who reply.:)

I don't know about the orange part, but I think the secret to making an Asian salad dressing is to use sesame oil and rice vinegar.

Sounds like you're talking about Ginger Dressing. Some restaurants add ketchup to the typical ginger dressing recipe to give it that odd orange appearance. You might check Recipezaar.com or allrecipes.com for ginger dressing and then find one that includes ketchup. True asian ginger dressing would not have it though.

Edited to add: The reason some places add the ketchup is for extra sweetness and bulk. Makes the normal recipe go much further and is more to the American flavor.

Edited again, lol: I found this recipe for you: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Famous-Japanese-Restaurant-Style-Salad-Dressing/Detail.aspx

Edited by ConnieB

Sounds like you're talking about Ginger Dressing. Some restaurants add ketchup to the typical ginger dressing recipe to give it that odd orange appearance. You might check Recipezaar.com or allrecipes.com for ginger dressing and then find one that includes ketchup. True asian ginger dressing would not have it though.

Edited to add: The reason some places add the ketchup is for extra sweetness and bulk. Makes the normal recipe go much further and is more to the American flavor.

Edited again, lol: I found this recipe for you: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Famous-Japanese-Restaurant-Style-Salad-Dressing/Detail.aspx

LOL Thanks Connie. Wow! I never in a million years would have guessed ketchup. :) I guess my tastes are too American because of all the Asian dressings that I've tried that one in the Japanese restaurants is still my favorite. lol But I do like ketchup too so that could be it. lol Thank you for the recipe link. I really appreciate your taking the time. :)