Menu

Has anyone broken TOG up so year 2 isn't so bad, but still kept within a 4 yr cycle?

HappyGrace

I'd like to stick closer to the way other curricula does it, and Year 2 of TOG is just TOO MUCH for one year. I'd like to stick to a more "traditional" neoclassical split: yr 1-Ancients, yr2-Middle Ages/Ren/Reformation, yr 3-Explorers-1800 or so, yr 4-Modern.

TOG Ancients is fine. But then I'd like to do the Middle Ages/Ren/Ref that next yr. So then I'd basically have to squish 2 units of yr 2, all of yr 3 and all of yr 4 into two years to stick to a four-yr cycle! I don't mind taking out a lot of year 4-even the TOG rep at convention said yr 4 wiped them out emotionally!

Has anyone done anything like this?

The other thing I'm thinking of doing is skipping yr 4 altogether this go around and have dd do a worldview course like Starting Points or something like that instead (that would be 8th grade).

Shari-that sounds great! Do you happen to have the format you used to do the 20th century like that?

For instance, I understand it was:

TOG yr 2 over 1 1/2 yrs

TOG yr 3 the second semester of the 3rd yr, and first semester of the 4th year.

Then do you have exactly what you did to squish yr 4 into last last semester? This would work perfectly for what I want to do and it would help so much to be able to see it, if you have it? If not, no worries! Thanks!

ETA: now that I look at it again, it looks like you may have condensed some weeks all the way through? Or did you do the complete thing of yrs 2 and 3?

Edited by HappyGrace

• 3 weeks later...