Menu

Progeny Press Guides

plain jane

What are your thoughts on these? I'm looking at the lower elementary ones right now since the Homeschool Buyers Coop has group buys available with PP.

Can you tell me what you like or dislike about them? Do they really help with learning and getting a better understanding of the novel or is there a lot of busywork?

• 3 weeks later...

We did two this year, with my DD a first grader. The Courage of Sarah Noble and Keep the Lights Burning, Abbie. The first took us awhile (not for her to read the book, but to do). Some of the "thinking hard" questions was tough for her. The second one was MUCH shorter. I think she learned the following: some new vocabulary, to pay more attention to what she is reading, working on writing answers in complete sentences...and the more difficult things which worked half the time was the more in depth/digging into what the Biblical view/questions were. All in all though, I'd do it again. The reading was easy for her, and she did enjoy doing them for awhile. I think they look GREAT for upper elementary and will be looking forward to doing another. Haven't figured it out for next year yet. Would like to do one, but not sure yet!

Oh, one more thing- I didn't make her do the whole guide. Some of the questions I skipped. And imo, I don't think there was busywork- all very meaningful! To be honest, even the wordsearch in Keep the Lights...that is a small challenge for my DD but she is working through it little by little.