Menu

Teaching First Grade to my baby dx w/PDD-NOS

Hello Ladies,

I have a brand new challenge before me for next year. After 13 years of homeschooling, I'm going to probably be teaching first grade to my baby who attended the public school for K. We enrolled him in the ps to allow him to receive speech therapy and occupational therapy.

Also to alleviate my fears that I might not be able to teach him to read. He is reading cvc words very well and is very phonetic. He is the most visual child that I have but I am working on teaching him a little auditorily as well.

Is WTM visually enabling for a child dx with PDD-NOS? I would like to hear your favorite visually attractive 1st grade curricula. Focusing mainly on reading. We currently use MUS for math and I'm happy with that, I think. Plug away if you know something better!! Please~!

• 2 weeks later...

I am BLOWN AWAY by the thoroughness and the simplicity of Rebbecca Pollard's readers. I cannot stress strongly enough how good I think these are for a child who will likely not learn to read intuitively with great ease.

Start with the First Book for Little Folks and interweave the Primer with it. Then go on to the First, Second, and Third readers. The end of the third reader is solidly fourth grade. The Advanced reader, which starts at 5th grade level and finishes at high 12th grade, might be paced too fast, but I cannot emphasize too much how excellently the first five books are structured. Have you ever seen another phonics-based program that takes kids all the way to the end of 4th grade?

These are all available free on Google Books. There's a link from donpotter.net.