Menu

Apologia Science Review

Suzannah

I know I read a review by SWB a couple of years ago but I can't find it now. If I search the site I find a mention of it but not the review itself. So, could someone either point it out to me, tell me how to ask the tech people to restore it or give me your own review including negatives? Why would I not want to use Apologia Science?

We are a Christian family and I wish to present science in that light, but I also want my children to hear the other side for two reasons. First, as Christians they will need to be able to defend their faith and explain why the Apologia interpretation of science makes sense. This will require knowing something about the alternative theories. Secondly, if they pursue a career in the field of science they will need to "know" the evolutionary arguments.

evolution BEFORE diving into the reasons FOR it, KWIM? Lay the foundation first. As for Apologia, I believe that in the middle years, it does begin to address the "controversy" of Creation vs. evolution. IMNSHO, middle grades is soon enough to teach the nitty-gritty of this "argument". My elem. kids have used God's Design For series as well as CKE series and both mention evolution but quickly refute it w/ biblical fact.

Also, keep in mind that as your dc get older...Answers in Genesis is a wonderful site full of resources about this very topic and could be a wonderful starting point for a study of Christian Apologetics in addition to science once they hit high school. Why do I like Apologia OTHER than it is Christian -based? I like it b/c it is thorough. It is packed w/ great information and I've yet to find a science curriculum that is as thorough and covers as much. I'm sure there is one out there...but I haven't found it. I don't think Apologia is trying to "shield" our dc from the fact that evolutionary thought exists...just trying to lay the foundation before really discussing the issue in depth. I hope I'm making sense. My children know about evolution...it's everywhere. We just keep it simple when they are young...basically we ask, "Well, what does GOD say about this?" and then look to our Bible for the answer! My advice: go with your gut. Ground your dc in the TRUTH before exposing them too much to the "theory" of evolution!

At the end of this year we will have completed all 4 of the Elem Apologia books. In 5th grade my boys worked through Astronomy and Botany, and in 6th grade they worked through Zoology I and II. I don't do the lapbooking, but we do keep the notebook and follow the lesson assignments. I also don't have them do every experiment, just the ones that are easy and convenient for me.

I think the Apologia Elementary books are a great introduction to science and have sparked an interest in my boys that they can fan later in higher level science books during their high school years. We will start back up with Apologia Biology.

I believe the General Science book does address evolution along with creation, but the argument was not well constructed. I can't find SWB's review of this either though.

We are actually using the elementary botany book this year and will do astronomy next. I was thinking about after that, though. I think SWB said that one of the upper level Apologia books was excellent (Chemistry maybe?) but she had reservations about one or more of the others. I may or may not have those same reservations...I just can't remember what they were.

Does anyone know how to find that review? Or do you know of another review of the series that gives pros and cons? All the ones I've found are very positive.

Here was one of the threads: http://www.wtmboards.com/K8genApr242007/messages/90.html

I always get slammed when I'm critical of Apologia's upper-level programs, so I'll leave the link to you and step back. :seeya:

I can't find SWB's article either, but I remember that basically she felt that students needed a more balanced view of the creation versus evoluation debate than Apologia provides. In other words, she felt that it was one-sided, and I remember that she didn't like the tone of it.