Menu

Pls. help me figure out Grammar for my 4th and 5th dc next year.

teamturner

Here's the background: My older dc will be 4th grade (dd) and 5th grade (twin dss) next year. All three began grammar w/FLL level 1. Since then my now 3rd grade dd has done Rod Staff 2 and 3. The boys have done R & S 3 and Shurley 4 (grammar only).

I want to use Shurley 4 w/my dd next year as it goes very well with Latin for Children and I like the jingles and labeling. My question is what to do w/my boys for next year. I'd love to pick something not teacher intensive like GWG or AG. When I look at GWG 5 it seems to be everything they already learned this year. Of I could just go ahead and do Shurley 6 next year w/them since it seems to be the trend to skip levels.

I'm considering putting them together in the same level in Shurley next year as well. Do I move up to Shurley 6 w/all three dc or do Shurley 5 w/all three dc? I think my boys would be very bored w/more of the same w/Shurley 5. Would level 6 move too quickly for a young 4th grader? I think my boys have liked that Shurley has very little writing when you take out the writing stuff. I also don't use the vocabulary stuff. My alternative is I could give the boys something they can do independently next year then I could do all 3 w/level 6 when they are 5th/6th graders. I'm trying to avoid doing 2 different Shurley levels, but if that's the best option.....

Thanks!

Edit to add: All three dc will be doing IEW next year at our co-op.

Edited by Michelle in TX

Level 5 only adds Predicate Nouns and Pattern 4 sentences. Level 6 includes sentence patterns 1-5 and Predicate Adjectives. Here's link to their scope and sequence. I guess I'm just wondering if each level starts assuming you studied the level before. I haven't found that to be the case with doing level 4 this year so hopefully not. I wish I could look into the table of contents or see the teacher manual.

Thanks!

I looked at a few levels and got level 7, because once my son memorizes it... I don't see the need to add more later, I'd rather memorize the "older" jingles first.

So, I'm gonna just go in increments with him... (He's in 1st right now) I just looked at a few levels and decided.. I can pick it apart... Course, that's just me and my laid back ways.... And, I figure that we'll be tackling Latin soon... so....

Carrie:)

If you end up using Latin for Children you will be please how well it works w/Shurley. My 8 dd is struggling w/Latin since she hasn't done Shurley while her brothers are having a much easier time with it. Plus we did Sing Song Latin, which I highly recommend, last year. They loved SSL! Even my then 2 year old sang along with us.