Menu

Can I get your thoughts for DD's 8th grade?

MamaReese

I have been trying to figure out curriculum for dd who will be in 8th next year. I think I have it all planned out and then for some reason I keep changing my mind on things.

A little background, DD is not a motivated learner, one reason we pulled her from PS after 3rd grade. Our first year I looked at all kind of curriculum and was overwhelmed, wasn't sure what I was doing...still don't think I have it together. LOL:) Anyway, we really haven't stuck with anything year after year except math, we have used MUS and it work well for her. So there has been absolutely no flow. Here is what we have done.

4th:

History:Winterpromise American Story 1

Math: MUS started from the beginning with foundations and finished Gamma

LA: Shurley Grammar

Science: don't think we did science:001_huh: I know we got a Botany program (can't remember what) but I don't think we did much after a few months.

5th: Winterpromise CAW/MFW ECC (both of us kind of lost interest about 1/2 way through, so didn't put as much into it as we should have).

LA: LLATL

Science: through Parent partnership program

Math: MUS Delta

6th:

History:SOTW Vol. 1

LA: Sonlight LA, wordly wise, Calvert Spelling

Math: MUS Epsilon

Science: through Parent Partnership program

7th: History through parent partnership (covered some world and then also WA State History)

LA: Shurley Grammar, Lightening Literature 7, Wordly Wise, she had quite a bit of writing instruction in her History class through the PP Program.

Math: Zeta and starting PreAlgebra (we will continue through the summer at a slower pace)

Science: Winterpromise Human body and Forensics

So I know there are gaps. There has been no flow to her education. I just feel as this is the last year before highschool. So where would do I start?

Here is what I am thinking, please let me know what you think, either what I have planned or what you ideas would be for us. I would like things to already be planned out for me, since I am not good at planning, I like it all laid out for me.:)

History: K12 Intermediate World History B

Science: Apologia General Science (Sonlight)

LA: CW Older Beginner AW Aesop and Homer

Growing with Grammar

Progeny Press Literature Guides

Calvert Spelling 8

or

K12 Intermediate English B

MUS: PreAlgebra/Algebra

Thanks!

I'm not familiar with all the programs your daughter has been using, so I'm afraid I won't be the best of help in being able to spot the major gaps you're concerned with. Here are our major plans for eighth grade, using the WTM method of teaching the years 1850 - present day and physics:

History/Literature

Sherlock Holmes by Sir Author Conan Doyle

A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkein

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkein

The Making of America by W. Cleon Skousen

Civil War for Kids: A History with 21 Activities by Janis Herbert

Volume 5: Liberty for All? by Joy Hakim

Volume 6: War, Terrible War

Volume 7: Reconstruction and Reform

Volume 8: An Age of Extremes

Volume 9: War, Peace, and All That Jazz

Charles and Emma: The Darwins' Leap of Faith by Deborah Heiligman

Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery

Watership Down by Richard Adams

Science

Basic Physics: A Self-Teaching Guide by Karl Kuhn

Physics, Fun, and Beyond by Valadares (fun projects)

Great Physicists by William Cropper (biographies)

Logic

Discovery of Deduction: An Introduction to Formal Logic by Larsen

So I know there are gaps. There has been no flow to her education. I just feel as this is the last year before highschool. So where would do I start?

Here is what I am thinking, please let me know what you think, either what I have planned or what you ideas would be for us. I would like things to already be planned out for me, since I am not good at planning, I like it all laid out for me.:)

History: K12 Intermediate World History B

Science: Apologia General Science (Sonlight)

LA: CW Older Beginner AW Aesop and Homer

Growing with Grammar

Progeny Press Literature Guides

Calvert Spelling 8

or

K12 Intermediate English B

MUS: PreAlgebra/Algebra

Thanks!

In 8th grade, I would concentrate more on fundamental gaps than substantive gaps. In other words, I would invest the lion's share of your time (and dd's) in nailing down her writing, her math and her study habits (you didn't mention this was an issue; but I usually like to use 8th grade to transition my dc to studying from texts and taking tests which are more prevalent in high school). Find a solid writing program that you like to teach and that dd will enjoy. You have used Shurley English for several years. We do as well in the early grades. I have found R&S works really well after Shurley.

Also, as early as 8th grade, I like to figure out what my dc needs in high school, how many credits and what type s/he will need to graduate and work backward. I hold the sequence very loosely, but it helps to see long-range where we are heading.

HTH,

Lisa

I agree with Lisa. We are having the same panic mode. I have decided to let some of the 'gravy' subjects slide like logic, geography, history and art so we can focus on math and LA. It isn't like they aren't going to get the 'gravy' again especially if they are using a distance school.

Other than that, K12 is excellent! IF your child doesn't have learning issues, like mine.

I know she definitely needs more writing. I am not good at writing and not sure how to teach it. Do you think that the Classical Writing is good, or do I need something like IEW? Or what good writing curriculum do you like?

I know she would love if we didn't focus on History or Geography since when I asked what she wanted to learn this next year, she said anything but History.

8th grade is a good year to get in a government and economics course in before she will do high school government.

My daughter will be doing this for 8th grade:

Pre Algebra

Applications of Grammer book 2 and Jump In writing together

Skills for literary analysis (reading only, not english portion)

what happened to penny candy (economics) 1/2 year

land of fair play (government) 1/2 year

wordly wise 8

Exploring Creation with physical science