Menu

SWB's Audio re: writing in High School

I just downloaded and listened to this seminar. I loved it and we are basically on track and actually doing a lot of what she suggested.

She recommended the student write 2 persuasive essays a week pulling from the content areas of the curriculum. She said that you may only do a few in science, so I think I can figure that out. I also think I can figure out the literary analysis type papers, but to come up with an entire year's worth of ideas in history is overwhelming to me. I think History Odessey has a lot of good suggestions, but unfortunately they do not have the last two cycles written for high school level and we're ready to begin the third cycle - Early Modern.

Does anyone know of any good resources for ideas of the type that SWB recommends? She gave some parameters for these, but I am just not good at generating the ideas.

I think TOG may include some of those type assignments, but I'm really not a fan of TOG because of the reformed theology.

but to come up with an entire year's worth of ideas in history is overwhelming to me. ...She gave some parameters for these, but I am just not good at generating the ideas.

In my notes from that lecture, I have written down six topic-generating suggestions. I wonder if you could talk with your child, say, each time he/she reads a history book or section of a history spine (or whenever you want him/her to write a history paper), and ask the child what he/she could write about...maybe those topic-generating suggestions will give *him/her* ideas, and you wouldn't have to come up with them yourself all the time.

Man, I wish I were that good, but I'm just not. I know myself too well after 10 years of homeschooling. If I don't have it all planned out, I won't do it. Maybe I shouldn't be a classical homeschooler, but I love the idea of it.

I get the how of generating ideas, but I would rather have someone else have already come up with them and I just use them. I know that's lazy, but it is what it is.

Man, I wish I were that good, but I'm just not. I know myself too well after 10 years of homeschooling. If I don't have it all planned out, I won't do it. Maybe I shouldn't be a classical homeschooler, but I love the idea of it.

I get the how of generating ideas, but I would rather have someone else have already come up with them and I just use them. I know that's lazy, but it is what it is.

LOL! :iagree: LOL!

I always think of the *best* ideas...about two weeks *after* we've moved on to another topic. ;)

If I don't have it all planned out, I won't do it.

I would rather have someone else have already come up with them and I just use them. I know that's lazy, but it is what it is.

I don't think that sounds lazy. :) I just thought that gradually transferring some of the thinking work (though I realize that's work for you at the beginning) to your student might make things easier for you. But I understand wanting to have things all planned out, too.