Menu

Doing SSRW for K phonics, would RS math games be too much?

i.love.lucy

My son will be K this fall (he'll be 6). I already have SSRW which has games, songs, pretty teacher heavy - obviously, it's phonics.

My head is swimming about math for him:001_huh:. I have NO IDEA yet if he's mathy. I have NO IDEA what his learning style is. I mean, he's wiggly (hence the nick-name Squirrel). I would like to help him become a mathy kid and because of this I am attracted to programs I hear a lot about like Singapore, RS, Miquon, etc.

I placed an order today for Miquon (all 6 books) because I felt like I had to decide on SOMETHING. Then of course I read all 12 pages of the thread on c.rods vs abacus. :confused: This put all kinds of doubts in my mind again about math!

If you were doing SSRW (and please don't suggest I drop this as it was an investment already made and I think he'll really like it) do you think Miquon is a good 1st math? And if so, should I also combine it with something like Singapore EB or 1A or Math Mammoth or MEP or what?

Or what about combining Miquon with just the games from RS? I can't afford the whole RS program (unless I can cancel the Miquon) and even then I wonder if it would just be too much when I am already doing a complicated program like SSRW.

Oh, Lord, please let this be making sense. I am so confused. I have been successfully remediating my daughter from her ps math experience with CLE (she HAS to have spiral) and I just want my little guy to start out right!

I used SSRW with my younger two, I think it's a *fabulous* program.

I am not mathy, so I never even considered Miquon (I've read/heard a lot about it and it seemed to me only the mathy people liked it, understood it and could teach it).

We use Math-U-See, it's simple to teach and we've had great results. It doesn't spiral but it has *some* review. We do math facts games and fun worksheets to review a bit more. Math-U-See is taught in a manner similar to Singapore.

eta: I haven't used Singapore or RS, so I can't speak to those. :) I used Horizons with my eldest. It was fine but she doesn't "get" math the way my other two do.

Edited by Mrs Mungo