Menu

Simple abacus question

Aludlam

Good morning,

We are just starting MM 1B, in which the abacus is used. I realized today, that I have no idea how to use one! I don't remember using one in school. The one we have came from RR, but looks like the one used in Right Start. Anyway, the directions (from the abacus package) appear to build the numbers on the left hand side of the abacus, while the unused beads are on the right hand side ... is that as clear as mud? Anyway, it just seemed to me that the beads being used in the number would be moved to the right side, while the unused beads would be left on the left side. It might address this a hundred times in the directions for MM, but I just don't see it. It seems like such a small thing, but I don't want to do anything that would confuse my littles any more than necessary. :001_smile:

Thanks so much

Angela

My DH is a whiz with the abacus and I've seen him show our kids, but I have no idea how he does it (and he's working right now or I'd ask him to respond to your post in my stead). However, you might want to go on YouTube and look for abacus tutorials - I actually did the search just now and there are a few, but I haven't watched them. (Maybe if you watch w/o your kids there and see if any of the tutorials make sense to you!) Good luck!

My DH is a whiz with the abacus and I've seen him show our kids, but I have no idea how he does it (and he's working right now or I'd ask him to respond to your post in my stead). However, you might want to go on YouTube and look for abacus tutorials - I actually did the search just now and there are a few, but I haven't watched them. (Maybe if you watch w/o your kids there and see if any of the tutorials make sense to you!) Good luck!

That's a super good idea. I never would have thought of that.

Thanks a million

Angela