Menu

Self-education articles

I've read that first one before. I'll have to come back for the 2nd one, as I'm (theoretically) on my way to bed.

I set myself up a world history notebook a while back. It's fallen into disuse right now, because I only have time for 1 topic at a time, with a munchkin and a pregnancy and everything else. SWB mentions in the Well-Educated Mind that she thinks it's best to do one topic at a time, and let it add up over time, and I'm finding that to be some very sound advice. I can do my one topic - Constitutional studies, I'd call it; I'm just starting to read the Federalist Papers, and have a book about the US Constitution that I've been working on. I simply don't have the time to be able to do much with the history thing, in addition, and feel like the Constitution is more important at this point in my life. Though I was really enjoying learning about Ancient history, and I'm still looking forward to finishing off Sumer and learning about ancient Egypt! That history notebook is patiently waiting for the time when I feel like I can get back to it!

I use a commonplace book and also find that my blog is a fun place to put some of the highlights. Plus, posting it for the world to see makes me write more carefully, which can't possibly hurt! One topic, once or twice a week, is pretty do-able, and I'm starting to see how the learning begins to add up nicely.