Menu

Teaching Textbooks

I do know a little about this program, but want to hear from others. So please tell me your likes and dislikes about this program.

I used TT with dd in 5th grade..using the 6th grade book. I heard all the great reviews and decided to try it for my dd, who is not a mathy child at all. I was OK with it...liked the thought of her learning from someone(thing) else..we didn't have to argue about math! Dd loved TT and did ask if she could stay with it. BUT, I decided to change this year to Chalkdust, but it moved to fast for her, then we went to R&S--just wasn't grasping it...not sure if it was their teaching methods or what, and now she just started Saxon--She likes it, but would still prefer TT, if I gave her a choice.

The reason I switched her is because I thought TT was not rigorous enough and it seemed to be a grade behind--so I wasn't sure what else it might be lacking.

Since this is a new program and has not be on the market very long, I would love to hear from those that have used this with their dc 7th grade-high school.

How well did your dc do on their SAT and ACT? How well are they doing in college?

Do you think that this program is enough on its own? Any other feedback??

Thanks!

I have two that have used TT up to the SAT/ACT. The oldest got 700 on the SAT and 33 on the ACT - took each test once. He's doing Calculus just fine now with Chalkdust and is a senior heading to college next year. The middle son is about to take the ACT in April. On practice SAT/ACT math he gets around 750/35. We'll find out soon for the "real deal." He's currently finishing TT Pre-Calc and is in 10th grade.

Yes, TT is a year behind IMO, but that doesn't mean it isn't good - esp at grounding the basics. It's not for everyone (different styles suit different learners), but I like it. Not all who use it will get as high on those tests. There is a bit to be said for natural talent IMO.

That said, even my youngest, who was struggling with math since being introduced to Everyday Math in elementary school, is now starting to fly having grasped Alg 1 (though we've been taking it slowly to fit him). He's in 8th grade doing it as opposed to 7th as his brothers were. I had to delay him a year due to too much ps nonsense messing him up through 4th grade. He started TT7 (tried this in 5th, but had to quit and catch up what he didn't know - did it successfully in 6th) and PreAlg (7th - no problems).

We'll see how his progression goes, but it's going to be corrupted by his wanting to return to ps next year. We ARE going to insist he do TT as well as ps math (since our ps math is horrid IMO).