Menu

AP Physics B *and* C?

A local physics program (tied to a "gifted" math academy) has their kids take physics in 9th grade using Conceptual Physics along with their problem solving class, then take the AP Physics B exam at the end of 9th grade.

In between grades they train students in math and/or physics competitions.

In 10th the focus is on AP Chem, and in 11th/12th their students study for the AP Biology and the AP Physics C exam.

Here is their course overview.

Has anyone's children taken both the AP Physics B and C exams? I wonder what the benefit would be?

Interested in hearing your thoughts...

Edited by Handmaiden
added link

The AP Physics B course is a non-calculus based physics course, that is intended to be the equivalent of a physics course in college for non-science majors. It covers a full-year of non-calculus based physics, or 2 semesters of college level physics.

The AP physics C course is calculus based physics. there are 2 versions of this test, each covering 1 semester of physics, for science majors or engineering. One test is Mechanics based the other is electricity and magnetism based.

So, why would someone want to do both? That may be very complicated. I would think the B exam with a high score could serve a bio or maybe premed major with a non-calc based physics requirement well. If a student took the C level and didn't score highly enough to bypass a course, they might still be able to use the B course as an elective credit.

It is really hard to say...I do know that my son is in an engineering program, as a freshman. He was actually advised by the admissions counselor NOT to bother with taking any AP exams in math or science because he would be required by the university to take their basic level courses any way. Their opinion was only to take AP exams in courses that were not part of the major to reduce the general ed or elective load....

It seems to me that this particular group is trying to really accelerate the high school program so that their student can use the AP scores to gain advanced standing in college level courses so that they can complete more advanced courses while still technically in high school.

HTH

My dd is studying for the Physics C exams this year, and is also studying for Calculus BC. She was going to do the Giancoli text commonly used for Physics B without taking the exam (no credit offered by her then college), but she changed her college of choice to one that gave credit for Physics C. She's being challenged by learning the math and science together, but they complement each other. After all, the calculus was developed in part to explain the physics. Hopefully she'll be able to cement her knowledge of them by May!

A college chemistry professor told us that it is a very good idea to have physics twice. The concepts are difficult, and it is wonderful to have a more conceptual physics first, then a more math-oriented physics later, if you have time.

I think this school's plan is a good one for physics. Taking Physics B will be a good intro to AP science exams. A student who is on the school's track will most likely need what's in Physics C eventually, and B will make a good foundation for it.

Another comment I need to make is that Physics C does not cover all of the physics material covered by the MCAT, the test required for medical school. If you have a student who is considering medical school, he/she will want to have had the Physics B concepts of waves, light, and fluids.

And finally, I feel the school's plan is ambitious. Students may do well with some of the courses, but struggle with others, depending on how they are geared. For instance, AP Biology is a memory-intensive course, Physics C Mechanics is more and spacial-and-math-oriented. Chemistry is also one of those classes that is best covered twice, and it is presented as a full-blown AP course the very first time.

A good thing to know would be the school's math and middle school sequence. Was biology covered in a pre-AP class in middle school? When is trigonometry covered? Do they teach Calc I (derivatives) in 10th or 11th grade and Calc II (integrals) in 11th or 12th?

Best wishes to your student in future science studies.

GardenMom

The AP physics C course is calculus based physics. there are 2 versions of this test, each covering 1 semester of physics, for science majors or engineering. One test is Mechanics based the other is electricity and magnetism based.

I didn't realize there were 2 sections of the AP Physics C course. Do students usually take one or both sections? If they take both sections, are the tests given the same day?

And finally, I feel the school's plan is ambitious. Students may do well with some of the courses, but struggle with others, depending on how they are geared. For instance, AP Biology is a memory-intensive course, Physics C Mechanics is more and spacial-and-math-oriented. Chemistry is also one of those classes that is best covered twice, and it is presented as a full-blown AP course the very first time.

I agree. I'm thinking of having my ds take an intro class before he takes an AP science class.

They are not a school but an afterschool program for gifted kids. They hold 1x week classes in math problem solving, physics problem solving, and competition prep to supplement what kids are doing in school

A good thing to know would be the school's math and middle school sequence. Was biology covered in a pre-AP class in middle school? When is trigonometry covered? Do they teach Calc I (derivatives) in 10th or 11th grade and Calc II (integrals) in 11th or 12th?

I don't know if biology is covered in a pre-AP class or not. I guess that would depend on the student's respective school. I don't know how they would fit that in with their proposed sequence, however. That would mean doubling up on science some years.

They recommend this sequence:

6th: Honors Pre-Algebra

7th: Honors Algebra

8th: Honors Geometry

9th: Honors Algebra 2

10th: Honors Pre-Calculus

11th: AP Calculus AB BC

12th: Multivariable Calculus/Linear Algebra

I didn't realize there were 2 sections of the AP Physics C course. Do students usually take one or both sections? If they take both sections, are the tests given the same day?

Yes, there are two tests for AP Physics C. They are given on the same day, and are each 1 1/2 hours long. A student can take one or both tests, and separate scores are reported for each. This makes them different from all of the other APs.

The grade distributions for 2009 (available on the CB website), show that 29,167 students took the Mechanics exam and 12,628 took the E&M exam. I believe that few high schools offer a course in the E&M because Calc II is required for it, and not many schools teach it (nor are many students able to get to it before college).

This year the Physics C Mechanics exam begins on Monday, May 10 at 12:00 PM, and the Electricity and Magnetism exam begins at 2:00 PM that same afternoon. There is a 1/2 hour break between them.

HTH,

GardenMom

My ds took both AP Physics B and AP Physics C Mechanics & Electricity/Magnetism.

He took the B level in grade 10 and the C levels in grade 11.

I'd say that it worked very, very well. He had an excellent command of physics when he finished, enough to ace the testing and to place out of freshman physics completely at MIT.

My dd, on the other hand, jumped right into Physics C. It worked fine for her, but she's already decided to repeat the electricity & magnetism course at the college level. Even though she got a 5 on the AP exam, she feels she could understand it better:glare:.

~Kathy

Yes, there are two tests for AP Physics C. They are given on the same day, and are each 1 1/2 hours long. A student can take one or both tests, and separate scores are reported for each. This makes them different from all of the other APs.

The grade distributions for 2009 (available on the CB website), show that 29,167 students took the Mechanics exam and 12,628 took the E&M exam. I believe that few high schools offer a course in the E&M because Calc II is required for it, and not many schools teach it (nor are many students able to get to it before college).

This year the Physics C Mechanics exam begins on Monday, May 10 at 12:00 PM, and the Electricity and Magnetism exam begins at 2:00 PM that same afternoon. There is a 1/2 hour break between them.

HTH,

GardenMom

This is very helpful info. I should poke around the AP site more often. Thanks, GardenMom!

My ds took both AP Physics B and AP Physics C Mechanics & Electricity/Magnetism.

He took the B level in grade 10 and the C levels in grade 11.

I'd say that it worked very, very well. He had an excellent command of physics when he finished, enough to ace the testing and to place out of freshman physics completely at MIT.

My dd, on the other hand, jumped right into Physics C. It worked fine for her, but she's already decided to repeat the electricity & magnetism course at the college level. Even though she got a 5 on the AP exam, she feels she could understand it better:glare:.

~Kathy

Thanks, Kathy! I'm going to mention these options to my physics-loving ds as we plan our science sequence. :001_smile: