Menu

Using logic stage recommendations during high school ...

I know someone has posted about this before, but I cannot find the thread(s) anywhere. Could someone either direct me to these threads or just answer if you (or someone you know) has using some logic stage recommendations for a high school student ... due to various reasons?

I have been using history, literature, and writing logic suggestions for my dd, in 9th. We are also pushing logic itself into high school for her. She just hasn't been ready until this year to process things this way, and even now I am pulling a resistant child into it.

Don't know if you want specifics, but here is what we are doing.

In writing, we are progressing faster. For example, instead of taking a year to do one-level outlines, she worked on those for a couple of weeks, then moved to two level, for a month or two, and is now moving onto three level. I expect her to be fully confident in those by the end of the school year. We will start rewriting from outlines in April.

History, I managed to get the Kingfisher Illustrated Encyclopedia for a good price, and dd loves reading it. I have several history encyclopedias and let her choose the one that was most interesting to her. I figured the new skills would be difficult enough that I didn't want to add something that she didn't enjoy reading to the mix. So we have been working from that for her outlining.

She is very good at summarizing, so I haven't done much with that. But for for literature, we have been working with basic written analysis. We use 3-5 questions from the novel/biography list, and 1-2 questions from the evaluation list. She writes the question and then the answer. I just told her it was time to make them more into essays, and she shouldn't be listing the question first.

Logic, I put on hold until next year (10th), she just isn't ready. She has had to repeat pre-algebra this year because she wasn't ready for algebra.

So while she is struggling, my ds (5th) is already ready to do most of these things. He is more math, science, and analytical in nature. So is my other ds (2nd). But my dd is definitely more artsy, and can't stand school or even see the point of school. In her mind it is something standing in the way of what she really wants to be doing.