Menu

Potter's School English 1 vs Write at Home 7th

Handmaiden

I'm looking for an online writing class for my ds who will be 7th in the fall. He is a reluctant writer (math/science guy) still learning basic structure, and is a bit sloppy on grammar and punctuation. He's got potential, I think, just needs some handholding.

We've done IEW in the past and he is currently using MCT materials and is in the Write at Home's 6th grade class. I have mixed feelings about this class. He is learning and I don't hear complaints, but it doesn't seem to require a lot from him. He gets one assignment a week, on which he typically spends 15-20 minutes a day.

I am debating whether to progress to Write at Home's 7th grade but wonder if it will be too light. I have heard good things about Potter's School upper level writing classes but not English 1. I'm wondering about the level of rigor of this class; will it challenge him in a good way or will it be too hard?

Does anyone have feedback on one or both of these classes?

TIA!!

Edited by Handmaiden

Just to add another wrinkle to your situation: have you looked at Laurel Tree Tutorials?

http://lt-tutorials.schools.officelive.com/jhc.aspx

I'm looking at their Intro to Composition for my rising 8th grader.

We're currently using Potter's School for Logo to Lego (programming class) and will use them again next year for a science class. We won't be using their English classes though; I felt two 90 minute online classes with Potter's School per week would be a bit too much time online.

Guest Psalm 34:3

Hi Handmaiden,

Last year dd1 took Eng1 with the Potter's School and this year she's taking Eng2 and dd2 is taking Eng1. I have found their classes to be very strong: they cover literature, grammar (and connect it well to writing), and their writing component is particularly strong. They break down the writing process very well. Eng1 starts with the thesis, then initial & final sentences of the body paragraphs, then complete body paragraphs, then drafts of the full paper. Each of those is a separate graded assignment with helpful feedback from the teacher.

The Potter's School also has a writer's workshop class for grades 6 & 7. Dd1 started with Eng1 in 8th grade. They have placement tests for both writer's workshop and Eng1 so that would help you know what class would be best. We have been extremely satisfied with Eng1 & Eng2. Btw, their registration for new families starts the evening of April 13, and their schedule will be available before that. Best wishes as you make your choice, I know it is not always easy. ~ Debbie

Edited by Psalm 34:3

Stacy, I had not heard of Laurel Tree. Thanks for the heads up!

Debbie, your feedback is very helpful! It sounds like a class that would stretch my son's writing abilities.

I did think of a couple more questions. First, is it difficult to get a good grade (A or B) in their classes, particularly for a reluctant writer?

Also, we are currently using MCT for Language Arts (Town level grammar, vocab, poetry, writing) and I do like its approach. I was hoping to continue using MCT, but it sounds like Potter's might take up a lot of time.

Do you think it would be overkill to use both? Is grammar taught as a separate subject or is it incorporated into the writing assignments?

Thanks, again!