Menu

HOD users--adapting Preparing for a 5th grader?

koko

Preparing is written for 8 - 10 year olds with extensions for fifth and sixth graders. My fifth grader is using it as written. The guide contains several levels of dictation and schedules two levels of Rod & Staff English. You can easily use a different level of English or not even use R&S at all. I read the economy package books (the history spines) out loud. And, I read the Basic Package outloud, as it is intended. My son reads the Science books, the Deluxe Package and the Extension Package books for himself. He also uses Drawn Into the Heart of Reading and has covered four of the genres so far this year. I don't use a book package from HOD for that. I just pick books as we go along. I have pulled from the list that you can get to go with DITHOR, but I've also just used whatever we have here on hand already.

For us, it's a full program. It's just the right amount of independent reading for him and shared reading for us to enjoy together. He does pretty much all of the assignments except we use something else for vocabulary and use Singapore as a supplement rather than as his main math curriculum.

There really is alot of flexibility written into the guides. The placement chart is great for helping you to narrow your choices down and then there is some wiggle room within each guide to tailor the difficulty level.