Menu

? about Latin for CC user's

Aloha2U

There is the possibility of a CC community starting in my area, but even if it doesn't I've decided to invest in Foundations resources... doing their memory work at home. I had planned on doing Song School Latin for 1st grade and then Latin's Not So Tough levels 1 & 2 for 2nd grade, but that was before I had decided on getting CC's materials.

I'm not exactly sure how CC handles Latin, so what would you do if you were in my position? All feedback is welcome!

TIA!

:001_smile: Melissa

Cycle 1 is declensions. Cycle 2 is conjugations. Cycle 3 is part of the book of John in Latin. Are you asking whether or not to do your own Latin at home? You would need to in the Foundations level. It is not taught as part of the course outside of the memory work.

I believe CC starts latin in the 1st Challenge program. At first I thought we would do Latin in early elementary but I've decided to wait and let the kids start with CC. We are doing Greek now instead. :tongue_smilie:

http://www.wallsofbooks.com/ Is a really nice spot to read. It's by our very own Angela in Ohio. She has plotted a course that I believe works nicely with doing latin, period, but especially with CC. With my older kids, they did LCI and LCII and then Henle... and now more Henle... and after they worked on LCI&II.... and at least after the Henle the first few units... they would have fit into Henle I (Challenge I) but alas.... there isn't one here.... so we're stuck doing Challenge A unless I have her take courses somewhere else for Latin...

;)

Cycle 1 is declensions. Cycle 2 is conjugations. Cycle 3 is part of the book of John in Latin. Are you asking whether or not to do your own Latin at home?

Well yes, sort of... I guess I'm wondering what to use and when to use it.

You would need to in the Foundations level. It is not taught as part of the course outside of the memory work.

Being that CC begins Latin memory work with declensions (noun endings) in Cycle 1, conjugations (verb endings) in Cycle 2, ect... shall I wait to start LNST until 2nd grade or is the timing off? What do they base their memory work of off? (Clear as mud?)

I believe CC starts latin in the 1st Challenge program. At first I thought we would do Latin in early elementary but I've decided to wait and let the kids start with CC. We are doing Greek now instead. :tongue_smilie:

So is my understanding correct in that the Challenge A program starts in Jr High (7th grade)? Is that when they start using LNST? If not, what do they use?

http://www.wallsofbooks.com/ Is a really nice spot to read. It's by our very own Angela in Ohio. She has plotted a course that I believe works nicely with doing latin, period, but especially with CC. With my older kids, they did LCI and LCII and then Henle... and now more Henle... and after they worked on LCI&II.... and at least after the Henle the first few units... they would have fit into Henle I (Challenge I) but alas.... there isn't one here.... so we're stuck doing Challenge A unless I have her take courses somewhere else for Latin...

;)

Thank you for this link! Sadly, it seems as though many of the links in the post are broken.

Unfortunately, I require some (;)) hand holding w/this subject. :blush:

:lurk5:

OK... so many of the latin posts would be from Memoria Press. When you go there, check out the articles. I think every one of them is worth reading.

I'm doing CC, as I said, I will be preparing my son to start Henle or something at that level, in 6th grade. 7th at the latest. I will have him do much more translating than just Henle. I want him to read "original language" sources by highschool. So, in Challenge A, he'll be attending Challenge I classes... (or a small chance... Challenge II)

I wouldn't worry about LNST, because honestly... by the time your son is there... I think they'll be using something else. I am having my son do some of LFC because... I got a good price... he's got an incredible memory... and it makes me feel like "we're starting". I also have a goal of him starting Greek in a year or so....

I love CC and plan on going the whole way with it. BUT, it's not all I want. I want Greek and Hebrew.. although he may have to do Hebrew later... I am doing the "Latin Centered Curriculum" with him but just go outside of it.. by doing CC's memory... because... well.. I like it. It is a good mix in my opinion.

I have much education to catch up on.. if I'm going to feed my son Latin and Greek... but... if I can't do it... I'll find others to step in...

Happy Reading!!

http://www.memoriapress.com/articles/

http://www.memoriapress.com/articles/Spring09/dead-language.html

http://www.memoriapress.com/articles/Four-Principles-of-Latin-Study.html

http://www.memoriapress.com/articles/Spring%2008/joe-paterno-latin.html

What to do:

Memorize the whole Latin Grammar

Recite the Latin Grammar Orally

Drill Grammar Forms for immediate recall

Overlearn...until it is second nature.

OK... so many of the latin posts would be from Memoria Press. When you go there, check out the articles. I think every one of them is worth reading.

I'm doing CC, as I said, I will be preparing my son to start Henle or something at that level, in 6th grade. 7th at the latest. I will have him do much more translating than just Henle. I want him to read "original language" sources by highschool. So, in Challenge A, he'll be attending Challenge I classes... (or a small chance... Challenge II)

I wouldn't worry about LNST, because honestly... by the time your son is there... I think they'll be using something else. I am having my son do some of LFC because... I got a good price... he's got an incredible memory... and it makes me feel like "we're starting". I also have a goal of him starting Greek in a year or so....

I love CC and plan on going the whole way with it. BUT, it's not all I want. I want Greek and Hebrew.. although he may have to do Hebrew later... I am doing the "Latin Centered Curriculum" with him but just go outside of it.. by doing CC's memory... because... well.. I like it. It is a good mix in my opinion.

I have much education to catch up on.. if I'm going to feed my son Latin and Greek... but... if I can't do it... I'll find others to step in...

Happy Reading!!

http://www.memoriapress.com/articles/

http://www.memoriapress.com/articles/Spring09/dead-language.html

http://www.memoriapress.com/articles/Four-Principles-of-Latin-Study.html

http://www.memoriapress.com/articles/Spring%2008/joe-paterno-latin.html

What to do:

Memorize the whole Latin Grammar

Recite the Latin Grammar Orally

Drill Grammar Forms for immediate recall

Overlearn...until it is second nature.

The links you provided are helpful and I hope you'll forgive my ignorance, but I'm not exactly sure how to go about getting us where you are, from here. I too like the idea of CC's Latin memory work, but would you say that it is sufficient for the early grades?

What not to do:

1. Don't waste time memorizing long lists of vocabulary words, only to forget them later. Whatever you learn in Latin, put it into the permanent memory, not just the temporary.

2. Don't waste time on translation when you don't have all of the skills. Postpone translation and syntax until the logic stage - after you have mastered the grammar.

3. Don't let inexperience or unfamiliarity intimidate you from learning Latin. (This one has me stumped. ;))

I recall reading somewhere that CC uses LNST at some point... Why Latin's Not So Tough?

It just so happens that I already have LNST levels 1, 2, 5 & 6 that I got for a good price (sister has levels 3 & 4), which is why I'm wondering about how to get that program and CC's memory work to mesh together. (Side Note: I've finally put Song School Latin out of my mind and deleted it from my shopcart.)

Ok, I think I have a better understanding of where you are going after viewing the individual info fliers...

Foundations Info Flier

Challenge Info Flier

Uh-oh, I just found the Latin Tips with Denise Moore DVD. Do you use this?

:lurk5:

I had planned on doing Song School Latin for 1st grade and then Latin's Not So Tough levels 1 & 2 for 2nd grade, but that was before I had decided on getting CC's materials.

I'm not exactly sure how CC handles Latin, so what would you do if you were in my position? All feedback is welcome!

TIA!

:001_smile: Melissa

LNST 1 is just the Latin Alphabet. This is totally reviewed in LNST 2. I do not recommend doing LNST 1 at all.

To clarify the Latin memory work in Foundations:

During Cycle 1, children memorize the noun declension endings. They don't actually learn how to decline Latin nouns. The memory work is intended to put "pegs" of information into their minds, so then when Latin noun declensions are introduced, they'll have a little background information about it. Hopefully, the child will remember some (or all) of the noun declension ending songs that they learned in foundations, making the actual declining work easier.

During Cycle 2, children memorize conjugation endings. They don't actually learn how to conjugate nouns.

During Cycle 3, children memorize the first chapter of John in Latin, not the book of John.

If your interested in Song School Latin, do that. Then move into Latin for Children. Work through those texts with your child until they're ready for the Challenge program. If you go through LFC A,B, & C, then most likely your child will be ready for Henle Latin I or II in the Challenge program.

LNST 1 is just the Latin Alphabet. This is totally reviewed in LNST 2. I do not recommend doing LNST 1 at all.

During Cycle 1, children memorize the noun declension endings. They don't actually learn how to decline Latin nouns. The memory work is intended to put "pegs" of information into their minds, so then when Latin noun declensions are introduced, they'll have a little background information about it. Hopefully, the child will remember some (or all) of the noun declension ending songs that they learned in foundations, making the actual declining work easier.

During Cycle 2, children memorize conjugation endings. They don't actually learn how to conjugate nouns.

During Cycle 3, children memorize the first chapter of John in Latin, not the book of John.

If your interested in Song School Latin, do that. Then move into Latin for Children. Work through those texts with your child until they're ready for the Challenge program. If you go through LFC A,B, & C, then most likely your child will be ready for Henle Latin I or II in the Challenge program.

Thank you for this clarification, Angela!

I've honestly thought about LfC, but since I already have the LNST materials I was hoping to make them work. Does anyone use Latin's Not So Tough? :confused:

Ok, so right now, CC is doing LNST 3 & 4 in Challenge A and then LNST 5 & 6 in Challenge B then Henle book I Units 1-6 in Challenge I and Henle Book II in Challenge II.

I would just relax until 2nd grade and then decide based on where you are... where CC heads... etc. I would do the recitations that MP (Memoria Press) suggests... and then perhaps if you get that going... do the LNST. I actually don't care for LNST... but you don't have to get rid of them.... Just wait :-) I think that Challenge A vocabulary will be good for my daughter to expand her... well... vocabulary. But, like I said.. by the time your son is in 7th grade, things might be different... But... memorizing the info I've linked... that can't do anything but get you set for further Latin study :-) (Pm me in a couple of years when my son is older... he's in 1st right now...) :-)

:iagree:

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for all of the discussion on the various Latin curriculum choices and on how they fit into the Classical Conversations class format. We are just at the point of considering Classical Conversations for my to 5th and 3rd grader. This thread was very helpful.

Lisa

Classical Academic Press is awesome!!

My children LOVE to do Latin - complain that we ONLY do Tues./ Thurs.

Please take time to check out their new and improved Headventure website. It's amazing.

I have my children participate in interactive on-line Latin classes because we are more inclined to stay on task and they like the group interaction. They are very engaged.

CAP offers Spanish, Greek, Latin, and more...

CC complements our study of Latin very nicely.

Not to keen on LNST - expect to go straight to Henle.