Menu

FLL3 to R&S English 5 - yes or no?

JoyfulMama

Anyone go directly from FLL3 to R&S English 5? Did you find you missed anything major that was covered in FLL4?

OR, anyone use them all and have an opinion?

FLL3 & 4 weren't out when ds would've used them. And I didn't think ds was ready to do grammar out of a textbook (R&S-3 & 4) (though I didn't realize at the time that we could've done most of it orally!). Here's what he did:

• FLL-1+2: A little more than 50% of the book.

• not much grammar, if any, for a year or so

• Winston Grammar - Basic (this served as an introduction to the parts of speech; ds did not have the definitions memorized, could not distinguish between subject & predicate, hadn't diagrammed, etc. by the end of this program)

• R&S-5, started at beginning of 5th grade and finished towards the end of 6th grade

It worked fine. We did R&S-5 at a slower speed, camping out and spending a little extra time on things like the predicate, finding the sentence skeleton, memorizing the definition of an adverb.

Dd finished FLL3 recently and is now in FLL4. It seems that we covered a lot more grammar content with FLL3 than ds did in Winston Grammar. A student who's finished FLL3 should be better prepared to start R&S-5 IMO than one (like my ds) who's finished Winston. Even if he's forgotten a lot of the definitions, it's fine; it'll be reviewed again.

HTH!