Menu

Latin suggestions

TracyP

I am looking for some help with Latin programs. I would like for us to study Latin but I honestly don't care about going extremely deep into it. I don't care if we can ever use it to translate original works (for example). I really want it for a better understanding of English words and grammar. So does anyone have any suggestions about what would be a good fit and at what age I should start? Should I be looking more at vocab programs than Latin programs?

I posted the same question last month. We've been studying Rome and my daughter had shown a little interest, and all we really needed was a "taste" of Latin. "Minimus" was recommended to us.

I can't tell you how much my daughter adores Minimus. We're on chapter 4 of the book now. It's her new favorite subject and she is super excited about Latin. I splurged on the teacher's manual and the CD and I think they're a really nice addition to the book. With the extra practice from the teacher's book, her retention is surprisingly good. I suspect we'll be studying Latin for a lot longer than I originally expected.