Menu

Plans For My Upcoming Third Grader

AuntPol

I will be homeschooling my son next year for first time. I have been supplementing him since he started K so we are used to a lot of the materials and to working with each other. I have a rising 4th grade daughter who I will continue to supplement

Here are my thoughts:

Literature: Mainly I have a list of books that I gathered from various lists that we will work through.

Reading: Drawn into the Heart of Reading (He reads on a 8th or 9th grade level so I don't know whether to get 2/3 or 4/5 and include dd when possible)

Grammar: FLL 3 (we are in middle of 2 and it works so no need to change)

Vocabulary: I would like to do a word root based program but I can decide which one is best. I have rummy roots already but we've not done anything with it and I don't even know where it is currently :001_huh:.

Spelling: SWR (we do this on weekends now and will continue)

Pemanship: HWT for cursive? or just print some sheets. I am not worried too much about cursive. My now 3rd grader has only learned her name so far in school.

**Copywork from FLL and other sources

Compostion: I am thinking of this: Imitations in Writing (his choice of which) over summer with both. Then switch him to Writing Tales in the Fall and supplement with Igniting Your Writing on days when dd is home.

**I am holding out to see WWE but I don't think I'll do it without the workbook.

** Narration from other subjects too

Math: We are in Singapore and plan to stay in Singapore as base with Miquon an MEP supplement (he loves all three and loves math).

Logic: Mindbenders (he loves these)

Science: Here is an area where I am at a loss. I plan on doing BYFIAR with him and may just use it as a science but then he's very into science and a has natural gift in that area so I don't if I should do more or not. The issue is I am a Christian and DH is not and he adament about no Creationist Science curriculums (even though I try to tell him that most that I have seen are still basic science). It's taken me 4 years of the kids in school to agree to let me homeschool one child so I don't want to push him in this area this year. I would like to do a Charlotte Mason Nature Journal with him too but I am not sure how that will go.

(Note: in 3rd grade here they cover space, human body, and plants and bees but I don't think they covered anything in dd's class that she and he don't already know)

Geography: Geography related books and mapwork a la Charlotte Mason

History: SOTW volume 2 (we are almost finished with 1)

Foreign Language: Rosetta Stone Spanish

Art: Artist study every quarter as we do now PLUS I will do I CAN DO ALL THINGS with him about twice a week

Music: Composer Study (we already do) PLUS guitar lessons

PE: Either a homeschool Fencing or a martial arts class PLUS football and baseball via parks and rec

**we spend 30 min-1 hour at a creek with their school friends everyday and he will be able to continue that since I have to go there to pick up dd.

OTHER: He is switching from Boy Scouts to Young Marines next year (unless we can find a daytime Homeschool Scout troop).

I am hoping to join our church Homeschool Co-OP and they have a weekly thing on Friday with 2 classes. I am hoping to be able to arrange some playdates and things too.

Am I leaving anything out? Too hard? Too Easy? Any ideas for science?

Science: Here is an area where I am at a loss. I plan on doing BYFIAR with him and may just use it as a science but then he's very into science and a has natural gift in that area so I don't if I should do more or not. The issue is I am a Christian and DH is not and he adament about no Creationist Science curriculums (even though I try to tell him that most that I have seen are still basic science). It's taken me 4 years of the kids in school to agree to let me homeschool one child so I don't want to push him in this area this year. I would like to do a Charlotte Mason Nature Journal with him too but I am not sure how that will go.

(Note: in 3rd grade here they cover space, human body, and plants and bees but I don't think they covered anything in dd's class that she and he don't already know)

We use Noeo this year (and last). They are good books, scheduled out for you in manageable chunks. It was pulled together by a Chrisitan vet, but the books are secular. He has a good explanation here about why they is no overt Christian-ese or creationism in his program. I would certainly recommend Noeo (classical and CM influences), but I wanted to point out his rationale here because it is a good way to work with any secular science program.

HTH

We used HWOT cursive this year and it was quite successful. My daughter responded well to the descriptions of how to form the letters. We had not done a formal approach to manuscript writing, so I am actually having her go back and do their 2nd grade printing book as well.

Given his reading level, you might try Vocabulary Vine as a roots program. We are going to use this next year for 3rd grade with my daughter who is doing primarily 4th grade or above in language arts. She is also a very strong reader, very good speller, and it looks like it will be straightforward to implement without much busywork. http://www.redshift.com/~bonajo/latin.htm You could do it with both your children.

Is Noeo very hands on? My son is very hands on and is very scientifically oriented. I've never done a science curriculum but we've done tons of science projects here.

Noeo is laid out, pic-up-and-go. It uses living books with narration. There is a science experiment pack that comes with it. The pack is very easy to implement. There is not an experiement for all topics but about 1/2 of them. If there is not a experiment you will do the picture narrations/copywork. My dc Liked it very well.:001_smile: