Menu

Anyone used Sonlight's science? What did you think?

Michelle T

I'm wondering about Sonlight science, either 3 or 4. What I like is the living books, and the DVD that shows the experiments being done. My DS likes reading, and hates doing hands-on, so I'm wondering it Sonlight might be perfect for him!

So, anyone use it? What do you think?

Michelle T

IMy DS likes reading, and hates doing hands-on, so I'm wondering it Sonlight might be perfect for him!

Michelle:

We love Sonlight Science 4 (electricity, magnetism, microscopy, astronomy, light and color, etc.). Yes, the Discover & Do DVD is great for times when we don't do the experiments. However, the value of Sonlight science is in combining literature with hands-on experiments. Of course, it's impractical to do every experiment, but I think the program assumes you do some of them to get the full learning value. I think if you plan on doing only the reading assignments with no experiments, your science week would be very short with SL. There are about 4 experiments scheduled every week with SL Science 4. The reading sections are fairly short.

I'd say, just order the books, not the whole SL science program, if you just want reading assignments.

My 2 cents.

Hi Michele,

My sixth grader has done Sonlight Science the last three-four years. I love it because he can do it on his own, as he loves science...me, not so much. TOPS Science has been great fun and my son has flown through the books for Science 5 this year, like the History of Medicine. Totally works for us!