Menu

Please assess seventh grader's essay.

Catherine

It is not yet complete, lacking a conclusion. He wrote all of this, from an outline, in less than an hour. I've been encouraging him to work faster and more efficiently. It's those seventh grade hormones-BTDT once already, so I know this too shall pass. Nevertheless, it can take him hours to do the simplest things some days. So I was very pleased with this effort from a less than eager writer, though it obviously needs some work. Please be honest-is this an OK first draft, for a just turned 13 yo?

Smallpox

Variola, or smallpox, is a virus that has existed since around 10,000 bc, and was named to distinguish it from syphilis, or great pox. Smallpox claimed the lives of over 500 million people in the 20th century.

People have, at times, attempted to use it as a biological weapon, though there is no confirmation that any of these attempts were successful. The Soviets, experimenting in weaponized smallpox, narrowly avoided a national outbreak of super-smallpox when a researcher caught it in weaponized form.

More than one attempt has been made in history to prevent smallpox. The earliest attempts go as far back as 1,000 bc. In 1796, Edward Jenner created the smallpox vaccine. This vaccine has been discontinued, due to the fact that it worked so well that the disease was completely eradicated.

Famous people to get smallpox include a few U. S. presidents: George Washington, Andrew Jackson, and Abraham Lincoln, all of whom survived it. Also, Motzart and Beethoven both got it as kids, and lived. Joseph Stalin got it as a kid, and lived.