Menu

Heather in VA, can I ask you about CW Herodotus?

Mary in GA

Hi Heather,

I was reading through that really long post about Phonics Road and was reminded that you are using Herodotus. I'm doing some advance planning and posted yesterday on the high school board about LA options after 8th grade.

I'm a huge fan of the CW method too. Dd is in Maxim this year and will continue to Chreia and Interm Poetry next year. Does Herodotus continue to cover grammar in the same way as Diogenes? Does it recommend a specific grammar text? We have never used the Harvey's text recommended so far. I think knowing how grammar is handled in Herodotus will help me make a decision about what grammar text to use going forward. Thanks for your help!

Mary

There is no grammar in Herodotus. There is review on topic sentences, paragraphs etc but by then it's expected that grammar is done. We used Analytical Grammar rather than Harvey's and she does Latin so there is Latin there. In Herodotus they schedule Traditional Logic as the next step in supporting skills.

Heather

Section 5 of the Herodotus book is all on logic and how to apply it to your writing. Traditional Logic is scheduled to be finished before you get to that section so you have learned that information at some point before the section on applying it to your writing.

What I'd do is when you get to Herodotus, if you still have the TL book, as it's assigned in the schedule - just have her read over the lesson to remind her of the info, but not bother to do the exercises again unless she's totally forgotten everything. If after reading a few lessons she know she remember, then don't worry about it.

Heather