Menu

History Revealed by Diana Waring

I will tell you our experience with it. First, let me say that I absolutely adore listening to Diana Waring and learned alot from her CD's but. . . the way she approaches learning did not work for my boys or me! It was way too hands on. My boys are 'just the facts, maam' kind of people. They just did not want to research more in order to present a skit to my dh and I or write a poem/song, etc. They gladly listened to Diana and would read the text in the unit and any additional books that I assigned (Diana recommends many additional books and we enjoyed every one we were able to get our hands on) and then we would have some discussion time. That covered the first two weeks of the unit. Weeks 3 & 4 were activities and in our house that is where the frustrations began. We managed only 2 1/2 months before I had to call it quits.

Now having said that, let me also say that I think for some families it could be a great fit and as rigorous as you want to make it.

So, my advice would be to decide if the approach fits your family or not and go from there.

Dear Sue in NH,

Thank you so much for your candid assessment. What you shared was REALLY helpful! My son is also a "just give me the facts" kind of person and he leaves the creative stuff for his sisters, so I don't think this curriculum would be ideal for him. Again, I thank you!

Sue,

Your review was also helpful to me. My high school daughter LOVES hands on and drama so I decided to order this for her. She has written many plays and composes music so this will be a great fit for her artistic side.

The way we plan to use it is to take a cue from Tapestry of Grace and the yearly History Night we host for our homeschool group. She is going to work through each unit per month and at the end of the month we are going to have a Unit Celebration like Tapestry of Grace. She loves costuming as well so she will create a costume and make a dinner that night. She will share any skits/music she has written. Teach us all about the time period and read any reports she has written.

I have decided to incorporate my younger children, teaching them the same topic seperatly and then anything she wants them to participate in (plays, music etc...) will only strengthen their learning.

We are really excited about this! It looks like the perfect combo of freedom to plan our own thing, but with direction.

Michelle