Menu

If you routinely walk for exercise, would you come in here and answer my questions?

Today I did a slow 3/4 mile. It may not be much, but at least I'm in the game. ;)

Julie, that's great! Keep it up. Look at you!

When this becomes a habit, you will probably start to crave the walks. You may find yourself doing everything you can to get your walk into your day.

-Karen

Yay for you! It's really not worthless, I promise you. A good friend's father began walking last year, and he started out at the same point you are at. 20 minute mile, and could barely walk a mile at the beginning. He has lost a ton of weight, and has increased his speed to 14-15 minute mile, and he's planning on doing a half-marathon this summer. He has faithfully walked 3-4 days a week, and slowly (very slowly) built up his distance. Slow and steady wins the race. You're doing great!

Laurel, hooray for your dad. My running mile is 19 minutes. He's way faster than me. We've seen quite a few walkers pass us as my son and I slowly run in 5K races. They are so fit! We've been passed by racewalkers, people walking with leg protheses, and people in wheelchairs. It's so inspiring to see those people speeding by us. They inspire us. We don't get down because we are out there. We got out of bed. We are in the game. We are doing it!

Laurel, hooray for your dad. My running mile is 19 minutes. He's way faster than me. We've seen quite a few walkers pass us as my son and I slowly run in 5K races. They are so fit! We've been passed by racewalkers, people walking with leg protheses, and people in wheelchairs. It's so inspiring to see those people speeding by us. They inspire us. We don't get down because we are out there. We got out of bed. We are in the game. We are doing it!

Thanks! I love doing races, because it's so inspirational to see the amazing athletes. I do half and full marathons, and since I walk, I usually start earlier, so I get to watch the leaders run past me. So amazing to watch.

At the Seattle Marathon last Thanksgiving, there was a man doing the full marathon on crutches! And he had such a positive attitude - every time I passed him (the marathon course has you going out and then coming back in a couple different areas, so I saw him a few times), he had a huge smile, and kind words, and would say "See you at the finish line!"