Menu

Lingua Latina--What constitutes a full year of study?

SwimmyKids

I understand all about getting as far as one gets in a program and that is what is good for the year. I subscribe to that approach. But this is a different situation.

If we study Lingua Latina through this summer, how far do we try to go to have studied a complete Latin I? A formal program calling itself "Latin I" using Wheelock's completes 23 or 24 chapters, depending on which school you're with. I don't have Wheelock's near me, so I don't know what that means in a course of study.

Knowing that in the fall we may move into an online Latin II program that uses Wheelocks, how far should we try to get in LL during the summer? We may end up continuing with LL, but I need to hedge my bets just in case.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

I found this site last night:

Middle School Latin

This middle school teacher takes his kids through Cap. 35 over three years, and tells them that at that point they should be able to test out of high school Latin I and II, and go right into Latin III.

So just going by that, you could assume that getting to @ Cap XVII-XVIII could equal Latin I.

Edited to add - no, sorry, he does not say they should test out of I and II, he says that the middle school will give the students credit for Latin II, and they would go into Latin III in the high school.

Hmmm...I'm really interested in looking at this website, but I can't get the link to work. Can you give post the web address? Maybe that will help me. Thanks!

There's an extra "http://" on the beginning of it... if you click on it and then delete that extra bit it should work!

He is almost 13.

We start LL tomorrow, meeeting with a tutor 2-3 hours each week during the remainder of the school year. I am attending tutoring and learning alongside him so that I can be a partner between tutoring sessions rather than just the shrew mom who can't understand what he's studying but still has to keep after him to "DO YOUR LATIN!" At least this way I can help him with the memorization and the exercises.

We will adjust our summer schedule once the tutor and I see how he takes to this, whether another seesion would help him or burn him out. Then, I hope we enjoy the journey.

That's a good idea, to meet with the tutor and then decide.

I think I could take my 12 year old through 16 chapters in a year. Possibly less. He is, hmm, mildly motivated.

I just got *myself* through chapter 15, I think, in a couple of months. However, this means that I have reading comprehension, but I do *not* have mastery of the grammar. Still, I gained a great deal, I think, by just working on the reading comprehension.