Menu

AskDrCallahan DVD courses

I just stumbled across these and wondered if anyone has experience with these courses. I'd love to hear a review if you have used these. Also, how do these compare to other course such as Saxon or Chalkdust? Edited to add: If you use these for highschool what do you use in middle school to prepare? Thanks!

Edited by Quiver0f10

My dss both used these for Agl. II, and Geometry and neither boy liked them. The oldest used Callahan's Alg. II course and it was difficult. He is a very bright boy (who is NMS Finalist), but really did not get his explanations. My husband sat with him most nights and went over the work and explained things. now, it could've been the boy's attitude that year. As I look back on it, lots of his classes were difficult, KWIM.

Both boys mentioned that Dr. Callahan stands in front of the white board and they couldn't see the work. My ds who used th geometry course, ended up reading the chapters for himself, and never watched the DVD. They kept complaining that what Dr. Callahan talked about on the DVD for a particular day was not what thier homework was about. They just did not work for us, and I have two mathy kids!

On a positive note, Dr, Callahan always answered our emails himself and was willing to help on any problems. I would say the Alg. II program is quite rigorous.

I have never used Chalkdust so I can'speak to that.

HTH