Menu

s/o Everyone's gifted: ever wonder...

I hope I'm not being presumptious here, but you might be interested in reading Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain by John Ratey, a clinical associate professor of psychiatry at Harvard Medical School. In the first few chapters he discusses how exercise affects the ability to learn, particularly that it creates a cascade of chemical reactions in the body that then affect the brain. Schools that have implemented these ideas are seeing significant improvements in test scores and, as a bonus, behavior problems as well.

The whole process is fascinating and if anyone is interested, I'll link some of Ratey's articles:

http://www.johnratey.com/newsite/Articles.html

Ratey's blog:

http://johnratey.typepad.com/blog/

...off and on for our whole homeschooling experience. The 15 yo and 13 yo jump before and after taxing academics. Right now, we are waiting for new springs to arrive, so there has been a bit of tension in the house that is not usually here. :)

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been referring to literally sending children away to college. Pack them up and send them to college. Dorm. Meal plan. Roommate. Heck, even taking individual classes on some of the campuses I have visited would, IMO, be exposing a kid to essentially the same, inappropriate environment.

all the tea in my china teapot (with a nod to The 3 Little Wolves and the Big Bad Pig).

My gifted 17 yo is at home. He is academically gifted, but he is NOT ready to stand up for himself. He is getting there, andby the time he heads off to college a year from the fall he will be a 19 yo gifted young man, not a gifted boy.

Teresa