Menu

"Dr. Seuss Day" AKA National Read Across America Day

Hockey Mom

Oh, is that tomorrow already?? I guess I'll have to come up with something - Monkey's on a huge Dr. Seuss kick. We've read *at least* one or two of his books Every.Single.Day for quite a while now. Gotta do the birthday! I'm so glad you posted.

Not that I have anything useful to add.:tongue_smilie:But thanks!

I thought about green eggs and ham, but decided against it. I have trouble getting DS7 to eat as it is...serving him green eggs would do me no favors. LOL

Here is how we spent our "Dr. Seuss Day":

I started the day by reading, The Cat in the Hat. My boys wore their "Thing 1" and "Thing 2" hats.

I had printed out two copies of "My Very Own Dr. Seuss Activity Book" from the Dr. Seuss website, and had the boys do the workbook at their own pace.

While they were doing their lessons, I started baking our 'hat cake'. It's not the best tasting cake (white cake, white frosting, red fondant), but the boys thought it was the coolest cake ever. LOL

My littlest one (DS5) played a Dr. Seuss matching game while we waited on DS7 to finish his spelling lesson. I had found that game online a long time ago and it was just sitting in one of my 'workbox extras' folders.

Here are some pics:

Activity book:

CIMG5790_091109.jpg

15-minute Free Reading Time:

CIMG5797_091109.jpg

Thing 2 plays a Matching Game:

CIMG5806_091109.jpg

The cake:

CIMG5809_091109.jpg

Making the cake:

CIMG5799_091109.jpg

CIMG5805_091109.jpg

CIMG5811_091109.jpg

CIMG5812_091109.jpg

LOVE the cake and the booklet idea, thanks!

We used some ideas from Apples4theTeacher to have some fun (*gasp*) worksheet activities during read-alouds this morning, then both kids read some Dr. Seuss books to each other during reading. This evening, we'll probably have Green Eggs and Ham with Daddy! :Big Grin:

http://www.apples4theteacher.com/holidays/dr-seuss-birthday/

I may print the activity book as well; my DD would love it!

LOVE the cake and the booklet idea, thanks!

We used some ideas from Apples4theTeacher to have some fun (*gasp*) worksheet activities during read-alouds this morning, then both kids read some Dr. Seuss books to each other during reading. This evening, we'll probably have Green Eggs and Ham with Daddy! :Big Grin:

http://www.apples4theteacher.com/holidays/dr-seuss-birthday/

I may print the activity book as well; my DD would love it!

It never even occurred to me to serve it for dinner (when Big Sister and Daddy would be eating it too)! I may end up serving this for dinner after all. If everyone is eating it, maybe picky eater DS7 will too. :)