Menu

Notgrass History: World, American....equal?

I've read so many positive reviews about Notgrass American History that I've decided to use if for ds when we study American History. However, next year we will study world history.

I am wondering if Notgrass world history is as well-reviewed as their American history. I've been looking at the website and the format seems to be the same for each course. Does the world history read the same way the American history does? Are there any drawbacks to the world history?

We have used Notgrass American and we own Notgrass World, though we haven't used it yet. The formats are the same, but I would say that the World History has a slightly easier reading style to it, as well as far fewer extra readings in the supplementary book. I don't see this as a drawback, personally, because it allows me to add in more of my choice of readings and literature. I think the strength of Notgrass is in the supplementary readings; that's what makes it a rich program. It is more "textbooky" than what I was used to using, but we used it when my dd requested something more textbooky and I was very pleased. The source documents and extra literature (i.e. short stories, poems, hymns, etc) in the extra reading made for a well-rounded look at American history. It's very easy to add in music from the periods, documentaries, films, etc.

Hope this helps!

We have used Notgrass American and we own Notgrass World, though we haven't used it yet. The formats are the same, but I would say that the World History has a slightly easier reading style to it, as well as far fewer extra readings in the supplementary book. I don't see this as a drawback, personally, because it allows me to add in more of my choice of readings and literature. I think the strength of Notgrass is in the supplementary readings; that's what makes it a rich program. It is more "textbooky" than what I was used to using, but we used it when my dd requested something more textbooky and I was very pleased. The source documents and extra literature (i.e. short stories, poems, hymns, etc) in the extra reading made for a well-rounded look at American history. It's very easy to add in music from the periods, documentaries, films, etc.

Hope this helps!

Alphabetika - This is helpful information. Do you think the the reading in the World history would be too easy/elementary for a 10th grader?

Hello again! I'm glad I can help.

Hmmmm....you know, I haven't looked at the World curriculum for awhile and it's up high in the garage, so it's not handy. I remember thinking as I read it that I wouldn't want it to be the *only* history resource that my dd used. It's definitely easier than many other things a 10th grader would read. That said, my dd will be using it in 11/12th grade as a spine for other, more complex reading. I think part of the beauty of Notgrass is that it's useful as a spine and has lots of excellent info to add on to, thereby making it customizable. But I also think (and here I may be contradicting myself) that for a student who isn't enamored with history and just needs to get through it, Notgrass World makes the task not so overwhelming and teaches history in a basic, interesting way.

I'm talking about the text here, also, whereas the extra readings are more challenging. Just not as challenging, as I remember from when I looked through it, as the American add-ons. I also remember thinking that the literature choices for world history were better than the American ones. I plan to add to those, too, partly because we'll be using it over 2 years, partly because I want to gear some of the lit to my dd's interests.

If you haven't already, go to http://www.notgrass.com/index.php and take a look at some samples. That will be very helpful to you, I think.

We have used all the Notgrass high school products and love them. The World History is lighter and easier than American and that's why Notgrass recommends to use it in the younger years of high school. The books are easier to read as are the supplemental documents. The reading schedule is also lighter and the student is given more time to read them. American History is pretty aggressive. There are more books to read and source documents about our heritage, which can be very heavy to read, are added in. Other than that the courses are identical in the way they are laid out. I did not supplement when I used them and we were very happy with the way things were covered but if you wanted to supplement it would definitely be easier with the world course.