Menu

moving to durham/chapel hill

Our family is moving to chapel hill/durham area of North Carolina this summer. Does anyone have any advice:

1) which one? Durham or Chapel Hill and Why? (We are considering putting our children into public schools in high school which is 4 years from now)

2) Help me get in touch with local home schoolers...I would love to find others who classically educate their kids...but we don't know anyone there so it would be great just to meet other homeschoolers, and find out about local home school co-ops or field trip groups.

3) Recommend a church to us. We have gone to nondenominational and presbyterian in the past...and are open to different denominations.

Thank you so much

If you can afford it, Chapel Hill is a wonderful college town. I lived there for a year and enjoyed it. To me, Chapel Hill is doctor-town -- UNC has a school of medicine and a dentistry school and it seems like every other person is in medicine. I lived there when I was a young adult and I had my wisdom teeth pulled at the school of dentistry for cheap! I don't know much about Durham except that the name carries less prestige than Chapel Hill.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We just moved to the area from Florida and so far we love it. We live in Hillsborough, which is very close to both Durham and Chapel Hill. There are a lot of great parks and nature areas around us and a new library just opened in January. There is an awesome sportsplex with a gym, ice skating rink, and huge aquatic center. There is also a neat downtown with some great restaurants. You might want to check it out!

We spend quite a bit of time in Durham- it has a lot to offer. Durham Performing Arts Center (DPAC) has some great offerings and Southpoint has fantastic shopping. There is a great museum in Durham too. Chapel Hill is not as appealing to me, although I know it sounds a bit more prestigious. The housing is more expensive and so are the taxes. I don't think it has as much to offer, although the school system is supposed to be the best.

Anyway, welcome to the area. Let me know if I can answer any questions with my vast experience of two whole months! :tongue_smilie: