Menu

Reading Curriculum - Any Ideas???

jemx5

Hello, This is my first year homeschooling. I have started with my oldest DD who is currently in 3rd grade using SOS. I have found that we are supplemtenting alot for SOS so we will not be using that next year. I am also wanting to bring my now 2nd and Kindergarten DDs home next year. I started looking at Sonlight but now have got it down to basically reading, LA, and history. I am really interested in the mystery of history but have no idea what to do for reading. I am afraid my dds may not like the sonlight books. We have several that I purchased from their core 3 readers list and she has no interest in reading them on her own so they have become read alouds for her and I to read together. She tends to not like to challenge herself with chapter books, even though she is quite capable of reading them. I think the size overwhelmes her. My middle dd is now acting the same way when it comes to chapter books. Does anyone have any suggestions of what I could use to be sure they are being challenged as well as getting their fluency up and reading comprehension?

Edited by jemx5

I was going to suggest you look at Christian Light as well. My dd has really enjoyed the stories. You can see samples at the website: reading materials list.

You can also read the scope and sequence here.

My dd reads the Sonlight readers in addition to using CLE. Making the leap from readers to chapter books is usually all about confidence for an early reader. Just have the books available, and when they are ready, they'll dive in. :001_smile:

I would suggest letting her take a trip to the library and get a chapter book which is of high interest to her. This is just to break the confidence barrier. Once she has realized there is nothing to be intimidated by, you can assign any books you want. We use Sonlight books too, and my kiddos are sometimes not interested right away just by looking at the cover or maybe reading just the first chapter and they will balk at it. I usually find that half-way through they are coming up to me excitedly re-telling the story even before I've asked for a narration! I have never done a reading "program", so I can't really comment on that. We always use narration and discussion; sometimes the Sonlight guides for comprehension questions. HTH!