Menu

Memoria Press K- one more question

Just Another Jen

I am on the fence about buying this program. I've used Phonics Pathways successfully in the past in K. I'm wondering if those of you who have gotten your package actually think Memoria's phonics program is an improvement over either PP or OPGTR? Both of those programs would put him at a higher reading level at completion, but I do like the scheduled aspect of Memoria's program.

If you have it on hand- what do you think?

Hi---I can't answer this question from the perspective of one who has received and is using the curriculum, but I had a similar question and posted on the Memoria Press forum boards. My almost-5 year old has been working through OPGTR this year and is more than halfway through. Here is what Tanya from Memoria Press said:

Hello.

I do understand that it seems redundant to do phonics with a child who is reading, but I found that my son (who also read early) still needed those basic phonics rules for spelling and writing practice. First Start Reading has pages where you dictate words for the students to spell and lots of practice with writing letters and words. You could move at a faster pace than you would with a child who isn't reading, but I'm not sure I'd recommend skipping it altogether. Or, if you do choose to skip a basic phonics program, I'd at least consider doing the worksheets from SRA. Maybe your son is ready for SRA2 and could just skip SRA1. You can see sample worksheets on McGraw-Hill's site (https://www.sraonline.com/products.html?PHPSESSID=4db5fab406d4f69bc2f52ca0037d29f4&tid=7&sid=136&open=) Just click on 'sample lessons.' The samples show the teacher book, but you can see what the student book looks like. We don't use the teacher because we just use these worksheets as supplements. We actually teach phonics through First Start Reading.

So, if you move through the phonics program quickly because you see that your child doesn't need to do it all, you could move to the 1st grade StoryTime Treasures reading program early. But I would caution you not to be in a rush. There is plenty of time for everything, and though you don't want your child to be bored, you also want to encourage mastery. And we have plenty of room in our k-curriculum for extra writing practice, memorization, reading, etc. We built the program so that anyone could make it fit their particular family, and most specifically, children. So you can do all of it, most of it, or some of it, and still have a full kindergarten program in which your child will be challenged, but not overwhelmed.

Also, our read-aloud supplemental books might be books your child could read to you!

Regards,

Tanya

So maybe that will help in your decision-making? I'm close to taking the plunge. =) Good luck!

I am not going to be using the KG curriculum, but I do plan on using the supplement Read Aloud set. It looks awesome! I plan on using McRuffy for Phonics and Reading along with this Read Aloud set. I look forward to hearing how you like it if you decide to purchase. (I kind of wish they had more samples of all the components so I could have a better look at it.)

I'm watching this thread as well. OPGTR is explicit phonics (as is Memoria Press's K from what I can tell), so I'm thinking they would be pretty similar as far as reading results. My concern is connecting all the LA components and how that can get difficult when a kid progresses in one area like reading, but needs to go slower in writing or something else.