Menu

Name of children's biography of Lewis Carroll?

Well, I thought I should ask my husband, a Lewis Carroll scholar, and here are three that he suggests:

Lewis Carroll: Through the Looking Glass by Angelica Shirley Carpenter (4th grade and up reading level with photos) amazon link

Very Truly Yours, Charles Dodgson Alias Lewis Carroll: A Biography by Lisa Bassett (for a good reader at 3rd grade level and up, lots of letters) amazon link

The Story of Lewis Carroll by Roger Lancelyn Green (1951) He says this is the best, but you probably have to find it in the library. (5th grade & up reading level) amazon link for used version

You might also like Martin Gardner's The Annotated Alice: The Definitive Edition amazon link

Hope this helps.

Hope this helps.

Well, actually that wasn't quite the definitive list. This morning my husband said he forgot to mention at least one more The Young Lewis Carroll by Joanna Richardson.(Roy Publishing, 1963). It might be available at a library. Fourth grade reading level and up.

We are a little too packed with Lewis Carroll books at our house.. So if you have other questions about the author or the Alice books, feel free to ask.

Hope you have fun reading the Alice books and learning about the author.

In case you're interested, I have a related book for sale in this post.

The Other Alice: The Story of Alice Liddell and Alice in Wonderland by Christina Bjork

This book "examines the Victorian childhood of a young girl named Alice Liddell, who was the favorite child friend of math teacher Charles Dodgson, the man who penned Alice in Wonderland." Its author also wrote Linnea in Monet's Garden.

Regards,

Kareni