Menu

Math Mammoth & breaking it into lessons

Wee Pip

How do you break Math Mammoth into lessons?

A little background: we've used BJU Math for a couple years, and I still really like it - however, for a few reasons, we've decided to try Math Mammoth for my 9yo's 4th gr math. I will be buying it off of a friend soon and starting it. I took a good look at it yesterday and it looks like the lessons are broken apart into different page segments. For example, it says -

Lesson 1 - Addition Review - 3 pages

Lesson 2 - Adding in Columns - 1 page

Lesson 3 - Subtraction Review - 3 pages

From that, I would determine that 1 day of math would be Lesson 1, 3 pages, and the next day's lesson would be Lesson 2, 1 page. Correct? But then looking at the web site, it said each book contained 156 lesson pages (and there are 2 books for 1 complete year:confused:). If 1 lesson = 1 day, I counted it up and it would be 120 lessons in 1 schoolyear, not counting the test & cumulative review book (so maybe that's where the 156 lessons comes in?) Also, if my 1st assumption is correct, and some days are 3 pages, some days are 1 page, and still other days are 4 pages - do you make your child complete each and every problem? Some days look really lengthy to me, esp if my child gets the concept. I'm looking forward to trying this, but feel a little trepidation, since BJU has a very easy to follow front & back of worksheet format for each lesson:001_smile:

"Lesson pages" means pages the student works on ~ in other words, it's the total pages minus notes to the parent and any other pages that are not student work pages. The number of "lesson pages" is not the same as the number of lessons.

Also keep in mind that a "3 page lesson" may have an entire page of explanation, followed by 2 pages of problems with lots of illustrations, and a 1-page lesson may have minimal explanation and lots of simple addition (or whatever) problems. I've found that although there may be some variation in the time it takes to complete a lesson, the difference is not that great. We just do 1 lesson/day unless it's a really difficult concept or a really long (4 page) lesson, then I might spread it over 2 days.

Don't worry about it being difficult to use ~ honestly it's the easiest to use curriculum, of any subject, that I've ever found!

Did you buy the hardcopy from your friend? If so, does it have a table of contents in the front? I write the date (and any comments) next to the lesson number in the TOC as each lesson is completed; it's a very easy way to keep track of where you are and how many lessons are left.

Jackie

We have been working on Chapter 3 in book 3A for months! It's on memorizing multiplication facts and I really want him to have that down solid, so he is doing one page a day and using other resouces (Timez Attack, Tutpup.com, flashcards) with it. Thankfully, We are almost done. Just the review and test.

Normally, I would have him do a 3 or 4 page lesson in two days and only do every other problem.