Menu

Combining Apologia Bio 1&2 with Dive and BJU Lab?

I am trying to make the most real world applicable science I can for my dd. :) I like the in depth coverage of BJU but I do not like the abundance of Zoology in it since it does not apply so much to what ultimately her goal will be. I like the extra anatomy in Apologia for her. I was thinking of having her do both Bios from Apologia add Dive but perhaps have her do the BJU labs. Is this a viable plan and would this be enough for a child going into the medical field in some capacity. I am also wondering if the BJU labs would work combined with Apologia and DIVE. Another option I guess would be to get the DIVE lab kit and do those instead of BJU. I am looking for the most "real life" (meaning applying to medical field or biotech) science and would appreciate thoughts on that too.

Thanks so much for any help!:001_smile:

Edited by water2wine

I'm not a huge fan of Apologia, but I tend to agree with Dr. Wile in that the knowledge and understanding gained from a textbook is more important than the lab at the high school level. And I would say that learning to write up a good lab report is more important than lab technique. Dr. Wile does not emphasize this as much as I would like, but it's a big factor in college science labs that can make or break a student. You can certainly use both levels of Apologia Biology with thoroughly-written up labs, and be prepared for college science. Especially if you are hoping for AP and/or CLEP credit, I would focus on the content as primary with labs secondary. It also depends on your child's other studies. Scientists have to be able to read and write very well in addition to technical skills, so I would keep the subjects balanced in high school. In late college/graduate school it's all technical subjects, and that's when the lab skills are really fine-tuned anyway.

If you look at the supply sheets on Home Training Tools, the DIVE labs are going to be the most difficult if you are looking for college-labs and have the time and inclination to invest in that level of work. He teaches more lab technique than any other curriculum, but I wouldn't go that way with my own children unless I felt like they had the time and ability.

Thank you for your reply! That makes a lot of sense. I can help her with the lab reports I was in the field so I am not too worried about short comings in that area. I can teach her that. It's good to know that we could skip them and be OK. I do think I will look at the DIVE labs though. I don't think I can pass up doing the labs, just for fun.:)

Thanks for heading me in the right direction! I appreciate it.