Menu

WWW2 + FLL2 or Classical Writing Primers

Honey Bee

WWW2 + FLL2 or Classical Writing Primers  

1. 1. WWW2 + FLL2 or Classical Writing Primers

• First Language Lessons 2 + Writing With Ease 2
    • Classical Writing Primers
    • CW Primers are not enough on thier own, a combo would be better

For my 2nd grader next year. We will finish FLL1 and WWE1. I'll continue using SWR for spelling.

Can the Primers replace both of these or would you do a different combo?

I could go further with WWE and FLL and do CW later. I don't know which would be better. Opinions?

I do a sort of combo of WWE and Primers but I think it would depend on the child. We use Primers for as written. We do the narrations, picture studies, nature studies, copy work. WWE I use as a guide but I do not use the workbooks. We do a lot of copy work so I use WWE lessons to help choose some of that copy work. If it focuses on names, I make sure I choose selections with names, etc. I also use WWE as a guide for additional narration. My youngest daughter has auditory processing problems so narration is difficult for her, not because she can't tell back but because she has trouble processing things she hears orally. Because of that, Primers narrations are especially difficult. They use Famous Fifty Stories, Aesop - things with more complicated language and subtle details. I do those with her because I want her to practice hearing that kind of literature but because of her troubles, it isn't ideal for focusing on well thought through narrations. So I use WWE narrations to supplement that. We narrate other lessons as well but I focus on retaining information with those narrations rather than the pre-writing skills.

I guess this was a long way to say that if my child was doing narrations well, then I'd probably just use Primer.

Heather

I've always done WTM-ish writing (without the WWE) and FLL for my littles, and it's worked fabulously. However I'm having a hard time resisting those primers this year. :tongue_smilie: They look awesome. They'd save me a bit of time grabbing our own writing assignments and enrich them with the extra nature and picture study on the side.

I've never felt the pull to WWE. The recommendations in TWTM have been plenty, and I'd gone through it with two kids by the time WWE came out. I would have loved it when my oldest was little though!

I suspect neither is better than the other, and it boils down to personal preference. :)

For my 2nd grader next year. We will finish FLL1 and WWE1. I'll continue using SWR for spelling.

Can the Primers replace both of these or would you do a different combo?

I could go further with WWE and FLL and do CW later. I don't know which would be better. Opinions?

I personally would make sure the WWE skills were in place first. Now that doesn't always mean you have to do WWE. My oldest could summarize well early on, and just did lapbooking for a couple of years before starting CW (that was before the Primer or I would have had her do that). My 2nd dd is very detailed by nature, so learning to summarize has been hard for her. She has done the first two levels of WWE, but already has dictation and copywork down, so I am going to switch to using her Bible program to do narrations on, and continue with WWE skills using that.

The summary skills you really need for Homer.

Heather

While I love the primers, I don't know that I would use them alone. The grammar portions so far have been very light. I use them with CLE LA 3, and it is a good fit. They complement what we are learning in CLE and provide things I wanted in our LA that CLE doesn't have: narration, picture study, nature study, copy work...

If the WWE/FLL combo is working for you, that probably is the best way to go. Later you could just go into CW Aesop.

(I do add that I use them as a supplement, and how I use them works for us. The teacher's guide may give you instructions on how to add depth to the program so that it would be more stand-alone. That was never my intent. Since the download for the tg is only $1.50, maybe you could purchase one and read through to see what their big-picture plans are for the program.)

Edited by Dawn E