Menu

Use VP Card order or SOTW2 order for Middle Ages History?

Woodland_Mom

We're getting ready to study the Middle Ages and I'm trying to decide HOW I want to lead my boys through our studies. I could follow the Veritas Press History Card in order and use the sources on the back of the cards to enrich our studies and coordinate SOTW2 along with the VP cards.

OR -- I could read through SOTW and pull out my VP cards when they tie into our studies.

It seems like my boys retain more information when we study one card a week, but I so enjoy following a history spine and reading through history in a story format.

If you use VP and SOTW what do you do?

I am going to be using SOTW vol 2 in the fall, and I'm looking into purchasing the VP history cards. My thought would be to follow the spine (SOTW) and pull the cards as they correspond to the readings. There will probably be more cards available so my plan was to add those in at the appropriate spots around the flow of SOTW. For me, they would be to enhance SOTW, not the other way around.

Thanks ladies. I've done it both ways in the past and I have just been having a hard time deciding HOW I want to do history this semester. As I said before, my boys do seem to retain more when we study one VP card each week and then add in extra resources to flesh the information out. However, *I* enjoy reading from a spine (SOTW) and then adding in the VP cards as an extra resource. Unfortunately, my boys don't seem to remember as much with this second method.

But I may have figured it out!! -------------

I just finished skimming TWTM to get tips/suggestions on implementing history. I was reminded of a very important part of the history routine: monthly review!!!

If I review the things we've covered each month, that will undoubtedly help my kids to recall more. I'm going to give that a shot: Read SOTW2 and add in VP cards as I go, being sure to review each month.

Thanks ladies. I've done it both ways in the past and I have just been having a hard time deciding HOW I want to do history this semester. As I said before, my boys do seem to retain more when we study one VP card each week and then add in extra resources to flesh the information out. However, *I* enjoy reading from a spine (SOTW) and then adding in the VP cards as an extra resource. Unfortunately, my boys don't seem to remember as much with this second method.

But I may have figured it out!! -------------

I just finished skimming TWTM to get tips/suggestions on implementing history. I was reminded of a very important part of the history routine: monthly review!!!

If I review the things we've covered each month, that will undoubtedly help my kids to recall more. I'm going to give that a shot: Read SOTW2 and add in VP cards as I go, being sure to review each month.

Do you have the AG for SOTW? It has review cards you can print off in it. We are using those to drill like once a week. Once we cover a chapter, we add that card into the drill.

I do have the AG--and love it!

To be totally honest, I haven't thought much about the review cards in the back of the book. I suppose I've been too focused on the VP history cards because we like those so much.

Maybe I should not worry so much about the VP cards and use the terrific resources that the AG provides to the fullest extent. My boys would enjoy cutting those out, coloring them and using them for review.

Thank you for remeinding me about the cards. :thumbup1:

I do have the AG--and love it!

To be totally honest, I haven't thought much about the review cards in the back of the book. I suppose I've been too focused on the VP history cards because we like those so much.

Maybe I should not worry so much about the VP cards and use the terrific resources that the AG provides to the fullest extent. My boys would enjoy cutting those out, coloring them and using them for review.

Thank you for remeinding me about the cards. :thumbup1:

Maybe have them color them real nice and get them laminated. Or just print them on card stock. They could use both sets of cards for review. :)

Angela, I just wanted to add that if you want something free and colorful, and somewhat like the VP cards, Hannah's homeschool helps yahoo group has SOTW cards for vol 2. They each have a picture on the front and bullet points about the person or event on the back. They give a little more detail than the SOTW review cards in the AG. You can even download a template to make your own cards in the same style, picking an image from yahoo or whatever, and adding in your own commentary on the back. I printed mine out, then laminated them with contact paper and put them on a binder ring. Very nice--good for review, and you can also play little games with them--you can print up two of each and play old maid (just use the pictures and add an Old Maid card of some sort--maybe SWB's picture!--not saying she's an old maid...), or print the backs and fronts separately for a memory game, for example.

Angela, I just wanted to add that if you want something free and colorful, and somewhat like the VP cards, Hannah's homeschool helps yahoo group has SOTW cards for vol 2. They each have a picture on the front and bullet points about the person or event on the back. They give a little more detail than the SOTW review cards in the AG. You can even download a template to make your own cards in the same style, picking an image from yahoo or whatever, and adding in your own commentary on the back. I printed mine out, then laminated them with contact paper and put them on a binder ring. Very nice--good for review, and you can also play little games with them--you can print up two of each and play old maid (just use the pictures and add an Old Maid card of some sort--maybe SWB's picture!--not saying she's an old maid...), or print the backs and fronts separately for a memory game, for example.

Chris,

Thank you for this!! These cards are absolutely beautiful! I like how Hannah has a bullet list of details for the back of each card--nice!