Menu

HS TOG questions

I am going to be using TOG yr 2 next year. It will be my first with TOG. I will have a 9th in Rhetoric or dialectic, 7th grader who should use d, a 4th grader who easily falls in to UG, and 2 who will be in LG (along with a Pre K, a 2 yr old and an infant) ...lol

So, my questions would be as follows for my 9th.

1. Can Dialectic count for HS credit? I am interested in combining at least one level and as this is our first year, this might be the best one...It lists 9th under the dialectic grade range. However, It appears that I have to use rhetoric and use both of the top two reading sections of the reading page in order for her to earn credit. she will be a "beginner" according to tog.

2. She wants to use another writing program. Can the writing be eliminated and the Lit still work? If that makes sense. I guess I am asking is the literature completely tied in to the writing component. (she wants to do the one year adventure novel)

3. Are the government and philosophy components considered electives, or are they required to receive the credits for History and or Bible?

Thank you all. I am ready to begin planning and I am looking forward to hearing your suggestions on how to get started.

Rebecca

I am going to be using TOG yr 2 next year. It will be my first with TOG. I will have a 9th in Rhetoric or dialectic, 7th grader who should use d, a 4th grader who easily falls in to UG, and 2 who will be in LG (along with a Pre K, a 2 yr old and an infant) ...lol

So, my questions would be as follows for my 9th.

1. Can Dialectic count for HS credit? I am interested in combining at least one level and as this is our first year, this might be the best one...It lists 9th under the dialectic grade range. However, It appears that I have to use rhetoric and use both of the top two reading sections of the reading page in order for her to earn credit. she will be a "beginner" according to tog.You will be fine having a 9th grader stick with Dialectic readings while still earning high school credit. You can have the Dialectic discussions with both students, but do take some time to look ahead to the Rhetoric discussion. Many times your Dialectic student can answer the Rhetoric questions, and the Socratic discussions can help mature the 9th grader's thinking process. There are some times that you may want to let your 9th grader do some of the Rhetoric Lit. (The Greek plays in the 3rd unit would be a good example)Many of the Lit selections are in public domain and can be read online.

2. She wants to use another writing program. Can the writing be eliminated and the Lit still work? If that makes sense. I guess I am asking is the literature completely tied in to the writing component. (she wants to do the one year adventure novel)You can do another writing program without compromising your TOG Lit. Personally I would still have my 9th grader write a few essays in the year to solidify learning. I find some writing helps history and lit stick with my kids better than tests.

3. Are the government and philosophy components considered electives, or are they required to receive the credits for History and or Bible?You only need to do these readings if you are trying to earn a government or philosophy credit. I did not have my dc do these in the 9th grade.

Thank you all. I am ready to begin planning and I am looking forward to hearing your suggestions on how to get started.

Rebecca

HTH,

Leanna