Menu

"The Reading Lesson" anyone?

I used it with both of my boys and thought it was effective. I waited until they were both beginning to sound out words on their own. It was pretty painless and is pick up and go. Some things about it irritated me like the lack of capitals until nearly half way through the book but my boys had fun editing the passages and it didn't bother them.

Love it.

I used it to teach my older daughter to read, and I'm currently using it with my younger daughter.

You can read my thoughts on my blog.

Before starting it, I recommend waiting until your child recognizes all the letters and knows their sounds (Letter Factory / Pocket Snails) and can blend (oral blending games / songs).

I'm torn. I'm using it with my DS and I actually hate it for several reasons. I can't stand the lack of capital letters, the lack of proper punctuation (doesn't include quotes when someone is speaking), and there is no instruction in the book beyond a very brief introduction to the new sounds they will be learning at the start of each chapter. And it's really frustrating for my DS to read a whole group of new words that all have the "oo" in them, but all of them are pronounced differently (book, pool) and no instruction is given on the difference.

BUT, between using this book and ETC Online, my DS IS learning how to read quickly and well. So maybe the book works and it's just me who can't stand it. I will say that it worked well for my DS who went into it already able to blend sounds and read on a beginner level. We breezed through the first 6 or 7 lessons in a very short time. Around lesson 8, we had to slow down to 4 pages a day. I don't think the book would work well for my 4 year old who is a very beginner reader. She knows her sounds and is just starting to blend them, but the book would be too much for her.

I am currently in the process of looking for something else for my DS because we are over halfway through the book and my opinion hasn't changed. I still hate it and don't think it's enough. Not enough instruction and not enough phonics (very little actually). Which can work well for kids who are quick to pick up reading but be a total nightmare for a kid who isn't naturally gifted in reading. Or for a mom who really wants to stress phonics.

I agree that the Reading Lesson probably works best with natural readers. After we finished it, I switched to SWR to get more phonics and spelling rules or something like How to Teach Spelling. But it cost $15 and it worked for 2 kids and a third will be starting it so couldn't complain about the price.

What I didn't like about OPGTR was the font. It was close together and too close to the binding. I think both will get a natural reader where the they need to be.

I also got readers that covered the lesson we were on. And if DS had a trouble phonogram, say "igh" I would point out igh words while I was reading to him and have him say the word.