Menu

Ordering a yearly test for an overseas addy

NavyWifeandMommy

We will be living overseas and the place I buy my yearly tests won't mail to a military addy. The Dods over there test in March but that is just too soon for us to test thru the schools. We normally test in June after we finish school. What companies would mail tests overseas? Over where I am going there are no rules to homeschooling so I don't have to test but it's a personal requirement from hubby to test.

We will be living overseas and the place I buy my yearly tests won't mail to a military addy. The Dods over there test in March but that is just too soon for us to test thru the schools. We normally test in June after we finish school. What companies would mail tests overseas? Over where I am going there are no rules to homeschooling so I don't have to test but it's a personal requirement from hubby to test.

Do you send in to get results or is this just for you? Could you have family (like parents, in-laws or siblings) receive it at their address and then forward to you? Just some thoughts until hopefully someone else chimes in. We were living overseas and it was something I was also looking into so I know how you feel.

Isn't it just as likely to get lost if the company mailed directly to you and vice versa than if it was sent to your parents and overnighted? I would have it sent to your parents, over nighted to you. Write the test then you mail it directly back to the company with the test results going to your parents and them sending them back to you. It's an extra step with your folks being the middle man, but I do not think there will be any additional risk to your parents forwarding it on to you, and you will be sending it right to the company for grading with no middle step to delay it.

Isn't it just as likely to get lost if the company mailed directly to you and vice versa than if it was sent to your parents and overnighted? I would have it sent to your parents, over nighted to you. Write the test then you mail it directly back to the company with the test results going to your parents and them sending them back to you. It's an extra step with your folks being the middle man, but I do not think there will be any additional risk to your parents forwarding it on to you, and you will be sending it right to the company for grading with no middle step to delay it.

:iagree:

I currently have an FPO address and get my tests from Family Learning Organization in Washington.

Kris

that is who I have used in the past and when I emailed them they told me that they won't mail it to my FPO addy. (I think it's the ship that is APO) I have used them for two years now. I will have to email them again and ask.

If you have it mailed to a friend or relative and have it overnighted, it will still take at least two weeks to arrive to your APO/FPO. It will get to the central pickup point for your APO/FPO quickly but once it arrives there, it will go only as fast as Priority mail for your location. For us in Japan, it was about 2 weeks for Priority mail. So it's best not to mess with time sensitive material in the mail when you are military overseas. Either ask for an exception in your case from the company (prehaps fax them confirmation that you recieved the tests and then confirmation that you mailed them back in the specified timeframe from the time you received them) or find a company that is more flexible about when the tests need to be mailed.

Another option, and as I see it probably the easiest option all things considered when living overseas, is to adjust your school year so that you are ending your year when DODDS schools are doing their testing. Instead of starting your year in September and ending in May, start in July and end in March. Take your vacation in April, May and June instead of June July and August. If you live in an area that has IDEA International, they did their testing in April when we were there. I can't remember if they allowed non IDEA members to test with them but it's not a bad program at all. We would join IDEA again if we had the opportunity.