Menu

Regional pronounciations - Anyone not from TN what to take a stab at Demonbreun?

Cairo in IL is actually pronounced Care-oh. My husband pronounces it like the Egyptian city just to make me crazy. Of course, I'm the girl from SE MO who says, "Missour-ah".

Well, I would say KAY-roh and Care-oh the same way. My kids can read...I swear I know enough phonics to teach my kids to read even if I can't spell phonetically! :lol:

My mom was born in IL and lived all over the Southwest in her youth. My dad grew up in NYC. I have an Illinois accent, but with some strange variations. Since I've been in NC (15 years) my accent has morphed even more.

"Or how 'bout Mau Jew-ee-EH (Mt. Juliet) and LEB-non (Lebanon)? "

It's been a long time, I admit, but when I grew up in Lebanon, it still had 3 syllables. But my teens, who lived their first few years there, do say LEB-non, as does DH who is from Memphis originally, that's just north of Mi-sip-pi.

Now when I was growing up, we rarely spoke of Moun Jew-yet. It was just a place where my poor relations with no indoor plumbing lived. But truly, this is practically ancient history.

Ruth in NC, who doesn't know how to make those quote boxes