Menu

Anyone used Excellence in Literature Content Guides for Self-Directed Study: American

Yes!

We are using Excellence in Literature - American Literature this year for dd15. I am really happy with the program in general. Prior to using Excellence it Literature, both dd and I had read through various chapters of The Well Educated Mind and we really liked SWBs approach to the study of literature. However, I felt that I lacked the confidence to do it on my own without a guide of sorts. Excellence in Literature is that guide!

I really like that this program has allowed dd to focus on the author of the selected work and the historical significance of the piece, just as much as on the reading and analysis of the selection. Context readings are scheduled each week, as well as short readings on the author's life, audio downloads, scholarly essays, and suggested video supplements. This has really helped to transform our study of literature. Whereas before we were primarily reading and discussing plot/theme, etc., we are now enjoying a more well-rounded study of the total significance of a literary work.

One thing to note is that this course assumes a prior knowledge/study of literary terms and previous experience in literary analysis. It does *not* teach terminology or analysis, but rather provides a framework on which to build a deeper study of a literary selection by utilizing tools like approach papers, historical approach papers, author profiles, literary summaries, poetry analysis, and literary analysis papers. For this reason, a good idea is to supplement with an online resource like Sparknotes to pull out the themes, etc. during discussions.

HTH!

• 6 months later...